Sign in to follow this  
The_Punisher

What did I do wrong?

Just went fishing in a small creek near my house and got a huge bite towards the end of my day.  I immediately set the hook, but before I could do anything else *SNAP*!  My line apparently had no chance.  I was using 8lb test, and I never would have thought that anything other than a carp would have snapped it.  I have no idea what it was (too far under the water) and I was using a Mepps #2 in-line skirted spinner.  Now, my new reel has an anti-reverse feature that I had left on.  Now since I just got this reel Wednesday, I had no idea what the feature did (let alone that I might need it fishing small creeks).  Anyhow, should this have been off?  Like I said, this all happend in a matter of a second or so and the only thing I had time to do was stop reeling and ponder what to do next.  I sure would have liked to know what was on the other end of that line. :(

Not all lines are created equally.  It depends on what line you had purchased.  

The only thing that I can think of is that the problem was just a fray or nick in the line, and that the fish, along with the current, allowed the line to snap at that location.

The anti-reverse feature allows the reel to not go backwards, at all.  If this feature is turned off, it will allow it go back just a little, and if it turned neutral, the spool will be in free-spool mode, which means that it will go either forward (reeling in), or in reverse (allowing line off).

Sorry about the loss of the fish, but, it could have just been about anything.

The most important thing to remember is to set your drag correctly.This will solve some line breakage problems on the hookset.

Lot of things could of happened. It could of been your drag which you should check before you fish any reel.

It most likely was damage to the line. This used to happen alot to me I'd drag my bait through structure banging it around and not even thinking I'd tear up the line. Then first time a fish would hit it "snap" bye bye fish bye bye bait. Anytime my bait goes through structre a couple of times im check my line near the bait and give it a tug. This way if it breaks off in my hand no lost fish and no lost bait.

Another thing you might want to consider is the knot your using. Making sure your tying a good knot properly will keep breakoffs down.

As far as toothy fish theres not much you can do except fishing with a wire leader in theses waters.

Well, I highly doubt it was anthing like a Pike since this is just a very small creek in Indiana.  I've been scoping this spot out for weeks and have only seen small bass, sunfish, and carp.

As for the line, it wasn't old (I bought it Wednesday) and as for cheap... it was Trilene.  Is that a good brand that you anglers trust?

It easily could have been the drag.  Then again, it just as easily could have been a frayed or torn up line since it's been dealing with snags all day long.

I appreciate the help, guys.  I swear if I feel the line take off like that again I'll land that puppy and take a picture dedicated to all the guys on the board.  Maybe if I can catch him in the next day or two I can get my lure back as well. :P  Thanks again!

it was most likely your drag you need to set the drag to 1/3 of your line strength you can do this by tying your line to a scale and pulling till it shows 1/3 of your line strength then loseing the drag till it comes of then

Even if it was a 50# carp, your line wouldn't snap if the knot was sound, the line unfrayed and unnicked and the drag set properly. I would consider Trilene a good, trustworthy line.

I set my drag 1/2 of the line test, use braid wherever I can, check mono by running the line through my fingers and retie the knot as well. I have no set amount on how many times I check the line but when I do I usally retie.

Chow

The Pa Angler

use a good strong knot that u know works. i use the palomar and the trilene knots. i have lost many bass pitching jigs into bullrushes by trying new knots and doing them incorrectly. also with 8lb. test u should wet the line before u sinch the knot cuz if u dont wet the line, the part near the lure will be damaged and will snap very easily

Guest the_muddy_man

The antireverse is a good thing helps you get a quick hookset. The #1 culprit(other than a pickrel) is the knot.I found it best every few casts to run my hand over the last few feet of line and my leader checking for frayed line or a knot about to go,this has saved me a lot of lost fish

You did nothing wrong, just set your drag lighter. I'm in the habit of setting the drag just heavy enough to set the hook. I used to fish an extremely weedy shallow lake, and caught some very big musky and pike on light line by always checking my drag. Also, check your knots and feel for tiny nicks in your line constantly.