Sign in to follow this  
shootermcbob

Changing treble hooks?

What do you have to do and what equipment is needed to change out treble hooks on , say , a rapala dt3 with those blasted "sure set" hooks on them? Can someone kind of give me the step by step process? Thanks. I am sure this has probably been covered, but I did a search and come up with nothing.

And do I need to change out the split rings when I change out the hooks? Thanks for the help.

No need to change the split ring.

I just open the end of the split ring with my thumbnail and start the hookeye into the opening and keep working it around till it's out.

Reverse the procedure to install new hooks. There is a tool but I've never used it. Gone through a few thumbnails though.

I do like ColdwaterBassin does. I have several split ring pliers including the one suggested. I loose more and screw up more split rings than I do with my finger nail. I don't change out a lot at one time so my finger nail has plenty of time to recover between installations.

I have the Texas Tackle pliers than John recommends and they're very good, but if you don't want to spend the money, other pliers will get the job done. Personally, I was never interested in using finger nails.

I use a regular needle nose pliers and haven't noticed a diff.  I would also reccomend u use the same size treble as the orginal on the bait.  I agree the SureSet hook sucks, keeps breaking.  

I've yet to meet anyone that likes those sure set hooks including myself.  I use a lot of xraps for both fresh and saltwater.  #8 xrap I swap the hooks for a vmc #4 saltwater hook.   For the #10 xrap I swap the hooks for a mustad #2.  In both lures the larger than original hooks give me more hooking power and lose less fish, I have not noticed any reduction in the action of the lures.

Ok. thanks for all the replies. I took a good look and just used edge of an old pocketknife to get hook started out, and just worked it out from there. I have 5 different lures with the sureset hooks to changeout. I will never buy another with them, those hooks hang up when no other cranks do. fished with same rod, line, and in same spot the sure set hook will hang up when lures without them don't.

You will however need to change splitrings if one is damaged in any way.Rusted or stuck open.It is a good idea to keep some on hand.

I keep a small plano box in the boat with split rings, different sizes and differnt colors of trebles, suspend dots and strips, etc. That is my hardbait modification box. There will be times when the bait that is wackin' them need some tlc.