Sign in to follow this  
bassrednecktr21

careers in the bass fishing sport

Hey ya'll I am a senior in high school with some big career decisions I need to make fast!  I really want to try being a professional fisherman on the FLW or BASS.  I know it might not happen but I want a job around the sport.  Does anyone know of any good careers to get into that would help me be around the sport?  If so I would love to hearASAP!

Thanks Ryan

I am going to steer you in a different direction.  Think about getting in at BPS, Cabelas, Dicks, etc.  While working there, work your way through college, and fisheries biology is a great way to go.  Perhaps marketing, so that when you get sponsors, you can take their product, and really be able to sell them better.

The next thing that I can tell you is to fish on some smaller level tournaments, to start off with.  The ultimate goal for a lot is to fish in the big tournaments, but, if you try your hand at them to start off with, you might find that you have taken a step too large, and you might fail.  

I know that right now, I am more than content to fish small tournaments, to get better.  

Just some thoughts.

I am going to steer you in a different direction. Think about getting in at BPS, Cabelas, Dicks, etc. While working there, work your way through college, and fisheries biology is a great way to go. Perhaps marketing, so that when you get sponsors, you can take their product, and really be able to sell them better.

The next thing that I can tell you is to fish on some smaller level tournaments, to start off with. The ultimate goal for a lot is to fish in the big tournaments, but, if you try your hand at them to start off with, you might find that you have taken a step too large, and you might fail.

I know that right now, I am more than content to fish small tournaments, to get better.

Just some thoughts.

i was thinking about marketing or being a boat mechanic....but for marketing would it be better to get the bachelor or associate becuase i really do not wana go to school for another 4 or 5 years!!

well I think the number one thing you need to do is get an education

I actually started down the fisheries biologist path but couldnt' stand

the polotic's and tree hugging that went on in the school

business management is the key because then I'd say the best way to get your

finger on the pulse of the sport is the retail way

not Dick's!!!! I spent 10 year's with them back when they cared about the outdoor sport's. I'd say Gander  Mountain(where i am now) bass pro or cabela's

these three have their finger on the pulse of the industry and you will meet an unreal amount of people and contact's take your time you are young

it is a fun industry but get the degree because you can make a decent living with that, I don't have one and it's taken me 18 year's to make a very comfortable living  Good luck

Take a lot of physics, chemistry, buisiness management, and biology classes in college. The physics can help you when you get a business when you need a specific action in a lure your making. Figure out how things work. Also, chemistry and biology will give you a better understanding in a fish's senses, and it's all about life. There is a lot of studying to be done in the fishing field.

If you can land it, try to get an entry level position with your state's parks & wildlife (or fisheries) dept.  Maybe you can get on as a game warden or possibly as an intern.  I know that TPWD offers tuition help.  I wish I could have gone that rout , but I screwed up when I was 18, and my record won't let me work for the gov't.  It might not make you rich, but at least you will be outdoors, and you'll probably learn a thing or two.

Go to college and tune your fishing game on the weekends. A business/marketing course of study would be helpful in your efforts to become a pro. A part time job at a local tackle shop or one of the big boys like Bass Pro Shops would probably add some helpful people to your network. Another possibility for a part time gig could be at a boat dealership. Maybe you could start out cleaning the boats and stocking parts and work your way into doing some selling. They might even end up sponsoring you. Education first. Take four years of your life to help make sure the next 60 years of it are going to be doing something you like.

It all depends on how well you are able to grasp and realize the ideas behing marketing.  My personal recommendation would be to go for the Associates, so that way you can see if you like it.  If not, at least you got that much, and it will be a great place to start with.  

Like others have said start small and work up in tournaments. Always play with those better than you to make yourself better, but don't fish big tournaments to fast. Start out in a small club, if you get Angler Of Year move up to the BFL, is you can consistently make the top 25 in a year you are ready for the Stren Series. Once you can consistently place in the top 25 then you know you're ready for the highest level.

Ryan, I have attended seminars given by many of the big names in bass fishing, i.e. KVD, Dion Hibdon, Woo Davis, Ike, Shaw Grigsby and on and on. The question about becoming a pro always comes up and to a man they say to get your degree.

A business degree would be helpful because if you are a fishing pro you must run your own business. Secondly, you must earn a living while you are building your fishing reputation. I can't remember the exact number but the costs to participate in the major circuits runs over $50,000 annual not including boat and tow rig.

Four more years in school is really a short time and softened greatly in you work your way through at a major or small tackle store and fishing T's in the summer and on weekends.

sometimes I think that if I "worked" for the industry, It may change me.

My dad was a musician, jazz percussionist.  When I was a kid, dad did 2-3 gigs a week for extra dough (he also had state job) and music changed from his passion growing up to "work"  It took alot of the joy out of music for my dad.

I personally like the balance of being a UPS driver and a fishing addict.

Just a forwarning, "marine biologist"= great title but no pay.

Good luck.

Often you will find the jobs like game warden and fish biologist do not pay much. It may be because so many people think they want the job that the government agencies don't have to pay much. College is the key though and the higher the degree the more you can expect to make. I too, when I was in college, looked at the biologist route but to a large extent the policies are set way above that pay grade and for a career some supervisors demand you to be a "yes" man agreeing with their views even if counter to everything you think is right. I couldn't hack the political correctness back in the 60's much less in today's world. Too many PETA types.

I have enjoyed hunting and fishing for over 50 years. I was fortunate in that I had a relatively high paying job that allowed me a lot of time off during the week and also one full week each month allowing me to enjoy the sports during the times most others were at their work. That made things rather nice in that my buddies and I did not have to fight the crowds of other weekend fisherman and party animals. It's not working in the industry but it is another way to go if your other plans don't work out. My buddies and I worked to fish. The planning of the next big trip or fishing tournament occupied our off time while working supplied the funds. We only fished the small saltwater tournaments that either fell on our time off or when we all could get vacations. You could also go for the big tourneys if you get a degree that would allow you to have a flexible work schedule. I wish you great success what ever path you choose but plan carefully and get as much schooling as you can. It is the cheapest and best time you can spend. Then when you get to be my age you will have the finances to enjoy a real "reeltirement plan."

First let me say this, I think it's a great thing to have goals and dreams.  Without them we are nothing, so keep the fire stoked.  If you want something bad enough it will come, it takes dedication, hard work and MONEY!  The money part is big.  You need to find a way to secure the money first.  I think what a lot of people are saying here is spend just 4 years by going to college and secure the money.  I read something one time that a famous person said, "when you have nothing, no one wants to give you anything, but when you become rich and famous, everyone wants to give you everything." So you will have to earn it yourself first.   If you are totally against 4 yrs. of college then get the associates.  I will give you an example of how much it costs to fish one tournament as a coangler for a mid level tournament.

1.  Entry fee                                                     $350.00

2.  Gas 1700 miles round trip                             $420.00

3.  Gas for boat to practice                                $90.00

3.  Hotel Room for 5 nights                                $375.00

4.  Food/Drinks (This is eating sandwichs mostly) $65.00  

5.  Fishing Lic.                                                  $21.00

Total: $1,321.00

That doesn't include tackle.  Again I'm not trying to bust your dream, as a matter of fact I encourage you to go for it if it's what you really want.  Just have a plan and follow through.

HI RYAN,

IN MY OPINION EDUCATUON IS THE MOST IMPORTANT. ONCE YOU HAVE THE EDUCATION IF YOUR DREAMS DON'T COME TRUE YOU WILL HAVE A DEGREE TO FALL BACK ON.

WHILE IN SCHOOL YOU CAN FISH TOURNAMENTS IN THE SUMMER.

thanks to everyone who gave me advice...i think im gunna go to school for marketing!  I was reading up on it and IKE went to school for it and i know alot of people dislike him but hey he made a name for himself!