Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Bass12

The Moon and Spawn...

This one was just a thread.But that's okay.Go back about a page or two,there were some really good post on that thread.I think the topic was "Spring fishing and the spawn". CJ

I heard that when the first full moon in February i the crawfish hatch. which it takes them 2-3 weeks to get full size. The next full moon in March is the start of the prespawn, and the March full moon is tomorrow night. Whether this is true or not is beyond me. This is what i'v been told by old salty fishermen.

Guest avid

I don't noitce and increase in spawning activity during the full moon, but there is one thing I do notice.  My logs confirm that my poorest days on the water are when the moon is full.  Been that way for years.   Anybody else notice this?

Guest ouachitabassangler

Spawning peaks beginning 3-4 days before full moon until 3-4 days after. Bucks have an advantage of being able to see predators better than on dark nights. Remember that once those eggs are on the bed he has a 24/7 job guarding it until the fry are able to swim and hide. When they scatter he leaves, and that's during moon wan, still enough light to do his work. The best time is when he has light day and night. That time of month is also usually linked to prime feeding times, so females are more active in slightly deeper water. Also, bass don't spawn all at once. Individual females drop about 25-30% of eggs at intervals for a couple of months, and there will be a succession of pre-spawn working down a lake from warmest to coldest water being warmed, with of course a matching succession of spawn and post spawn going on over a large lake. Most of our lakes will see two major peak spawning periods, here in April and May until water warms too much for a hatch. Ours will peak on the West end in May, East end in April. It's already over with in Florida, a ways off in Nortern US lakes.

Jim

Does the moon enhance photopreiod?Does photoperiod have anything to do with the spawn?

I will fish when the opportuninty rises, but do like to fish when the moon is 3 days waxing and 3 days waning.

Lunar Phases and Bass Fishing Results

By Ralph Manns

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/articles/if0602_BitsLunar/  This has the graphs to support the article below.

Bass Facts & Figures -- Anglers have long believed that lunar phases affect fishing results, but there has been little catch data to test that assumption. Data presented by Lake Fork biologist Kevin Story at the Texas Chapter, American Fisheries Society, Bass Management Symposium showed graphically that in March 2003 and March 2004, lunker bass catch rates at Fork were apparently linked to moon phase.

March is Lake Fork's most productive month for bass over 7 pounds. Catches go up when bass are in or near spawning areas, and large bass tend to spawn earlier than smaller adults. Large bass, presumably on or near spawning areas, were caught most often on the full moon. Secondary peaks occured around new moons if water temperature was 61F to 63F. The lunar-tied cycle of bass catches then fades until the spawn is over.

Biologists postulate that moonlight illuminates shallow nests and allows bass to more easily lay eggs and later to guard the nest against raiders. Thus, spawning on the full moon with a clear sky may aid fry survival. Once the temperature has exceeded about 65F at nest depth, the light of the full moon doesn't appear to be as important, since subsequent spawns were scattered around the intervening new moons (dark nights) and next full moon.

Severe cold fronts can change this pattern by dropping the water temperature below spawning minimums (about 60F). If the first wave of bass fails to spawn, they may start over on the next full or new moon. If eggs were killed by weather, females may not have enough eggs remaining to support a second attempt, although multiple spawning is possible when an ample food supply allows additional eggs to develop. Unless they're already physically spent, male bass may nest again but the timing of later spawns is more variable.

There were also catch peaks near the two half-moons. These peaks don't match any theories of bass spawning. But they match postulates of some lunar theorists who report that catches of lunker bass increase on these specific half-moon days.

Sponsored Links

I HAve seen the difference in the spawning activity during this time. But also remember bass need Ideal weather to spawn also so if there is nasty wther duing the full moon period, head out the first warm sunny day after the bad weather and go whack'em.

My logs confirm that my poorest days on the water are when the moon is full. Been that way for years. Anybody else notice this?

Nope, in fact my experience over the last 15 years has been the exact opposite.  My fishing has been better for the 5 day period. (2 days before the full moon to 2 days after)  New moon (5 day period) has been 2nd best and the rest of the time about the same.  (this post not being spawn specific)

My logs confirm that my poorest days on the water are when the moon is full.

Nope,

**** sapiens is a strange but interesting animal, he sees generally what he wants to see,

wouldn't that explain why there are so many different forms of religion?

I too have spent many years studying lunar influence on fishing results.

At first I thought I seen a strong coorelation and got real excited. Then it occured to me that

3 days before and 3 days after the new and full moons constitutes 50% of the month.

We've learned nothing unless we devote equal fishing time to the best and worst periods.

If at least 60% the our most successful days don't fall within the best period, the results are random.

If we use just the 7 days encompassing the full moon versus the other 23 days of the month,

the results we likely be even less convincing. I looked at Doug Hannon's chart of big fish catches

versus the new, full and half moons and it generated audible laughter (sorry doug).

Once an angler believes that a given time-period or lure-color is most successful,

he will consciously and unconsciously devote more time to that period and that color.

This sounds the death nell. Every fish he catches thereafter will further reinforce "in his mind"

that indeed it's the right time and the right color. He now gives other times and other colors

less of a chance and he is no longer an authority on times and colors.

As for me, I put very little if any stock in the full moon hypothesis from an angler's standpoint.

I'd be the last to doubt that Mother Nature in her perfect and complex world doesn't in some way

link the fish spawn to lunar phases. As an "angler" however, I have found no way to benefit

from this hypothetical link.

Roger

Once an angler believes that a given time-period or lure-color is most successful,

he will consciously and unconsciously devote more time to that period and that color

That may be true to some extent, but my fishing time is dictated by my work schedule, not the lunar calendar. Many years ago, I did look at the calendar before planning a big trip.

I'd be the last to doubt that Mother Nature in her perfect and complex world doesn't in some way

link the fish spawn to lunar phases.

There is a lot of research that suggests all game fish and animals behavior is affected by the lunar cycles. The rut of Deer is one that comes to mind.