Sign in to follow this  
The_Punisher

When is a good time to start back up?

Long time, no post! :)  I've been lurking since about mid-November, when I had to put up the fishing equipment for the winter here in Indy.  Now with warmer weather approaching (but still not here, at least for me!) I'm wondering if I were to go out, if the fish would even be that interested.  What's a good time for the Midwest (Indiana, specifically) to get back out there and fish?  I know a lot of you have years of practice, but this has been really been my first year of fishing since being a kid.

When, and at what temp, will the bass be ready for me? :)  ::drools over the next time he can go out creek fishing::

Punisher, as soon as you can get to liquid water is the best time to start.  I have fished in a pond when the ice was still out on the edges and thrown a spinner bait up on the ice and let it slide down the edge and gotten bites.  Fish gotta eat, it might as well be your bait ;)

I never stopped fishing.  It's never too early to start up again.  Until the water starts warming up above 50 degrees, the fishing will still be slow.  But to me a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!

who cares if the fish are intrested    as long as you are  go        practice casting   try lures out   do whatever   fish are just a bonus  on a already goodtime called fishing

Thanks for the response guys! :)

Cajun -

While I certainly agree that fish aren't needed for fishing (as a matter of fact, some of my best days fishing I've skunked), I'm not sure I want to bare mid 30's temps (and mid 40's) if there aren't any fish involved.  I could be using that time working a little OT at work, to save up for when the evil baitmonkey strikes hard this spring! :)  Thanks for the advice guys!  Trust me, I really want to get out there, but I'd like it to be comfortable as well as enjoyable.

But maybe this weekend...  ;)

T_P, I live a little north of you in Mich. and I have already caught several bass this year. It was just a small pond and the fish average only .5 to 2lb. but they are still fun. I commented about this topic in another post so I apologize to anyone reading this if it seems familiar...But, I used a drop shot, I put a small cut-tail worm about 12-14 inches off bottom and worked it really slow. I never really felt a bite, only a small tick or just pressure.

I have a balanced 5'6" Bionic Blade that I hold directly on the blank for extra sensitivity. Use flouro line and have fun!!!

If you are fishing creeks or rivers let me know, I can help you out.

Jeff

J-Nam -

I'm usually a creek fisherman.  I enjoy a small pond out my way, but to me, nothing beats fishing little honey-holes in a creek.  Especially if I can get the current to take my lure a little further around the corner - who knows what's waiting for me down there? :)

hey punisher, i live in lafayette and i've been out 3 or 4 times to a couple private lakes.  So far i've only had one bite...one.  Although it's frustrating i know that warmer weather is hopefully headed our way, although it seems to be getting colder as we go...kinda sucks living in Indiana.  I just got home from spring break in virginia and it was 70-80 all 8 days i was there.  I miss it already!  Good luck - Josh 8-)

Heh...I wish the weather in St. L, MO would make up its mind... >:(...one week it's high 50's, 60's, and we have even had a few 75 degree days...now the extended forcast fro pretty much the rest of the month of March is highs in the mid 40's with the possiblility of snow a few more times before the month is up. Sometimes I hate St. L weather. *Sigh*....I hate winter. I agree that anytime is always a good time to go fishing, but man...I REALLY hate cold weather. Unless I really really have been feeling the fishing itch really bad I'll brave it. I have been fishing maybe 7 times since November. Caught nothing but dinks...but hey still fun.

THey are not bitting really good yet here in Ky. I have caught a few here and there but it is a good time to burn up the crappie while you wait for spring to hit full blast.  Hurry up high 60's and 70's.