Sign in to follow this  
Matt Fly

19th Sharelunker of the year

I know this is a minnow compared to the 25 lb 1 oz caught in cali.   We are proud to say, this is the 410th donated fish and #19 for the year.

Edward Reid of Crosby, Texas landed Budweiser ShareLunker #410 on Wednesday, March 22nd from Lake Conroe. Fishing in 4 to 5 feet of water with a green lizard, Mr. Reid caught the fish of his lifetime, a 14.48 lb. lunker that measured 25.25 long with a 21.75 girth. Reid's fish is the 19th Budweiser ShareLunker of the 2006 Season and the 410th fish entered into the program since it began in 1986. It is the third 14 pounder caught from Lake Conroe this ShareLunker season.

post-2468-130163004437_thumb.jpg

I know this is a minnow compared to the 25 lb 1 oz caught in cali.

Yeah, Matt,

I'd be disappointed with one that small too. LOL!

My fishing partner and my goal for this year big bass wise is 7# here in MD!

That's no minnow!

T is definately for Texas...You guys have a tremendous program going on down there.

Congratulations!

Matt,

Could ya please stop reporting this CRAP!!!.....lol  Makes me hate living here in Michigan when I see you report these :'(...lol  I only hope to weigh in with 4#'rs.... :o

the numbers on these sharelunkers brings up something interesting that I think a lot of new fishermen need to realize.  410 recorded fish over..14 pounds is it?...in 20 years.  That averages to 20.5 fish a year over 14lbs.  IN A PLACE LIKE TEXAS!  With the usual longer growing season there, and a relatively small number caught per year...it should make some realize that catching fish that big is definitely not the norm or easy to do.  

I say all this because I think most people start out fishing thinking that its so easy to go out and catch 5, 6, 7lb bass because thats what they see on TV.

Its actually 13+ lbs, and the program doesn't cover the whole year, Oct-apr, and you have to remember that alot of these lakes are forests underwater, so landing big fish isn't as easy as Cali with no underwater obstructions in most So cal waters. This doesn't show the ones that are released and not donated. I know of 3-15 pounders in the last 12 months that aren't noted anywhere other than marinas with pictures.      

And theres only a few lakes have benefit from milder winters down south Tx, but they suffer from droughts and Mexico sucking water out ot the river that feeds Amistad and Falcon.    

Thats the only reason TX hasn't eclisped the 20lb mark is we don't have the mild winters enough in N/NE/ East Tx.    We don't have the warm climate San Dieog or Fla. has.

hookem

matt

yes, but that doesn't change the fact that big fish are without a doubt, not the norm to catch.  Texas has a longer growing season than a place like Kentucky, or New Jersey, or New York, just as examples.  That was the point that I'm trying to make..big fish...15 pound fish..are rare..and people shouldn't be discouraged from fishing because they're not catching 5, 6, 7lb fish everytime they hook up.

The prize or nugget that is hidden in this is:   Places up North as you compared TX to, Tx puts out as many double digit bass as any where.    A person may not hook up with the teens, but does have a better than average chance to catch his pesonal best in Tx waters.