Sign in to follow this  
fishingrulz

jerkbait stop and go

i've been getting them on jerkbaits....suspending but like twitching it and the stopping. all this fish have been caught by sight. what will a bite be like while twitching a jerkbait and then  stopping it. the fish grab it and then stop. they don't swim. i'm guessing it will tick right?

The stop and go is a good way of getting them to bite. The colder the water the longer the pause. Watch the line that is a great indicator.  You will most likely see a jump in the line or feel a small tick.

ok i was just afraid of having a fish and not seeing it because they were sneaking up and biting it but then they didn't move and all. they just froze in place

You may not even the bite, you'll go to twitch it and feel resistance, lay into em!

Some days you may feel the tick or see your like jump.

All depends on the mood of the bass.

what i have had work best for me is pull two times then let it drop

what will happen is the fish will bite it when it drops then when you  pull it hooks

i pretty much always feel the jerkbait bite cause its got trebles  and the fish wont  suck it in or nick at it without you feeling it            

if you get hit on a jerkbait youll know it

Guest avid

Hard jerkbaits are minnow baits.  I also thought the term jerkbait to be kinda dumb.  It's a minnow imitation, what's wrong with that?

When you twitch and pause the minnow and a fish hits, they hit it hard.  Your line will jump.  There is no mistaking it.

i've been getting them on jerkbaits....suspending but like twitching it and the stopping. all this fish have been caught by sight. what will a bite be like while twitching a jerkbait and then stopping it. the fish grab it and then stop. they don't swim. i'm guessing it will tick right?

alot of people jerk the bait then on the pause they just let slack in the line, and watch for the line to move, but most the times i like to jerk the lure, then on the pause reel in the slack just enough to where ur line is fairly tight with no slack, but loose enough not to pull the lure forward. ull feel a thump on the line and u just pull back on them with the rod if they hit it on the pause , (but if they hit it on the jerk then its different).. but sometimes u wont feel the bite at all, ull just feel pressure on the end of the line if they are just staying still, but u wanna make sure its a fish on the line before u pull back, and make sure its not a log ur just hung up on,

what type of rod are you guys using for Jerk/minnow baits?  I am assuming you would want a fast tip to get the most action from the rest pause, however, with dual treble hooks could you get away with a moderate (crankbait) rod?

Bass usually will hook themselves or try to rip the rod out of your hand. I usually don't set the hook because on the next jerk usually sticks them. (soft jerkbaits I try to cross their eyes)