Sign in to follow this  
CJ

What...No Eggs?

As I posted on another thread,I caught a LM that weighed 5lbs.3oz.I'm pretty sure it wasn't a buck,the bucks on this lake rarely exceed 16in.Anyway this fish looked as if she had no eggs.She really didn't look all that poor,just not as fat as the others I had caught.Nor did she have any indications,such as a wore tail,that she had spawned.I was just wondering does some LM not produce eggs?What are some of ya'll's opinions?Another funny thing is she was in the right staging area,according to the other fish.

Males reach 5 pounds or a lttle bit more ( half a pound more ). So a 5 3oz is still in the weight of a male.

Did you look between the fins? ;D The way it was told to me was if you look on the underside of the bottom lip and notice a bump it is a female if it is not there it is a male. This is coming from Dion Hibdon on a female the bump is more pronounced.

The way it was told to me was if you look on the underside of the bottom lip and notice a bump it is a female if it is not there it is a male. This is coming from Dion Hibdon on a female the bump is more pronounced

BS !

Actually the sexual dimorphism is not apparent in individuals Chris, the only sexual dimorphism is the size, bigger than 5.5 lbs 99% shure it 's a female. But if you really want to know.........turn the fish with its belly up, press the belly so the fish poops and exposes the genital papilae, clean the poop, add a drop of methilene blue to the papilae, wait a couple of seconds, rinse and look closely, males have 2 orifices females have 3.

Pretty complicated isn 't it ? specially when you don 't have a fish nerd like me right next to you to tell you how the orifices look like.

But if you really want to know.........turn the fish with its belly up, press the belly so the fish poops and exposes the genital papilae, clean the poop, add a drop of methilene blue to the papilae, wait a couple of seconds, rinse and look closely, males have 2 orifices females have 3.

I'll keep guessing. :)

I was just telling you what was said to me  

In nature there is always variation.  In all species there are some individuals that do not actively spawn (reproduce).  Incidence is low from what I've read but it is possible.  Could be an "arnold" type male too.  Also, depending on where you are it might have already layed the eggs and just wasn't as aggressive at cleaning so there were no obvious frayed tail?

It is a fact; the average buck weighs almost exactly 50% less than the average cow.

The weight-ceiling for cow bass is 12 pounds, and with remarkable adherence

the weight-ceiling for buck bass is 6 pounds. Nevertheless, the vast majority

of cow bass never reach 9 lb and the vast majority of buck bass never reach 4.5 lb.

Roger

Guest bigtex

Maybe she is late and don't realize it.  Wait until her husband finds out...........LOL :-[ ;D