Sign in to follow this  
LAO162

Finesse (Eakins) Jigs

Do you fish Eakins and other finesse jigs differently from other jig styles? Recently, I've read that Eakins jigs were intended to be slowly crawled like a crawfish, rather than hopped like other styles of jigs.

Thanks

Leon

I fish mine similiarly to a standard sized jig just a little slower.  I don't really finesse mine as much as most.  I just use the smaller profile as the "finesse" part of the presentation.  If the bite is way off then I will slow down and drag it more than hop it but most of my bites are on the fall as it is.  

If I am fishing structure then I tend to drag the jig instead of hop it but that is just because I am trying to get the jig to "transmit" what the bottom composition is.

Fish them any possible way you can think of - - they'll work.  Eakins-style jigs (I pour my own) are about the only jig I even throw anymore.  They're extremely versatile.  

I fish all my jigs the same way. I do vary presentations and jig style upon conditions not jig. Example football in rocks, pointed head in weeds, ETC.

If I had the same condition and 4 different style jigs.  They all would be fished the same way.

I don't crawl or drag my jigs unless I'm looking for something or bumping the jig into something. If you are just dragging a jig around with no cover you are not fishing it imo...

But I will pitch finesse jigs around docks and light cover and just either...

A) Just let the jig drop and go for reaction hits

:) Fish it like a shakey head. Where I will just let the jig fall, sit for a second or two, then shake it along the bottom for a foot or two.

I prefer a eakins simply because of the small profile. However, if paired with a bigger trailer, its one of the slowest sink rates you can get out of a jig IMO.I just picked up a few jigs from ALL TERRAIN TACKLE, I like the way there made but the Eakins is by far my favorite.

My favorite jig. Match it with the biggest craw trailer you can find and drop it in a brush pile under a boat dock on Lake of the Ozarks and hold on.

One Dicks had them on clearance.  Yesterday I "cleared" them out.  I haven't been able to find them anywhere else.  I'm looking forward to trying them.  I now have so many (at a fair price) that I won't be hesitant to throw them in nasty places.

Eakins PB&J is my favorite jig. This time of year, I fish it slow. Aggressive fish want it hopped and will hammer it on the way down. However, in colder water, I have found that a slower crawl is more productive. The fish will pick it up off the bottom when it is still.

Winter and early spring are great time to use these. It's also a time a throw a lot of jerkbaits. You can tell what the fish wanton a jig by gauging how they react to a jerkbait. If they want a slower less erratic jerk like a pointer, then fish the jig slow and on the bottom. If they want a slash style jerk like an X Rap, then fish the jig faster by hopping it or swimming it.

If I'm fishing it on the bottom, I like a smaller chunk trailer. The fish aren't as aggressive and will be more likely to pick up a finesse bait. If I'm hopping it, I want a big chunk to make it fall slower and have a larger profile. One thing is for sure, the trailer is every bit as important as the jig in my experience.

Hope this helps.

EDITED to add a story :)

Two years ago I was fishing this same jig, covering a lot of water and hopping it along the bottom. I had not gotten the slighest hit. All of the sudden I hear a pretty loud F Bomb from my partner in the back of the boat. He had managed to stick a rat l trap in his calf. I dropped my rod and went over to help him. It wasn't too bad and i got the hook out with out having to cut the barb. Anyway, it took about a minute or two. I quickly realiuzed i had not reeled in my line and it was probably wrapped around a tree. I went over and started reeling it in quickly when i realized it was hauling A@$ sideways. So I reeled in the slack and set the hook. About 3 minutes later i pulled in a beautiful 6.5 pounder. From that moment on, we fished it slow and on the bottom. We ended up having a nice day with 5 fish over 4 pounds and a bunch under.

That jig was sitting on the bottom for several minutes without being moved and that big girl just slurped it right up.