Sign in to follow this  
ECP1989

Carolina Rig Problem

I was using a Carolina Rig with 50 Pound Power Pro Braid as the main line with 3/4 ounce wieght and 14 Pound Berkley Vanish Transition as a leader and every time I'd get a bite and go to set the hook the leader would break for no reason at all. I'd wait untill I'd feel the weight of the fish and I didn't set the hook like I was fishing a Jig just a firm set nothing to hard.

It could be the learder material.  Some on this board would say that the berkley Transition is really brittle and can't withstand the hookset, hence a lot of break offs.  I personally haven't used it enough to know for sure, I use Yo Zuri regular formula or Seaguer, but then again I don't fish a C-Rig that much.

I would guess that either you have a bad batch of transition or you haven't been wetting your knots as you SLOWLY draw them tight.  (which would cause a weakening of the knots)

are they breaking at the knots   did you put a bead  between the weight and the swivel to protect the knot   if so   then i agree with everyone else   bad line

Guest JoshKeller

I personally found that anything less than 16 lb test, I break off on the hookset with 50 lb braid and a 7' heavy action rod.

What sort of 3/4 oz weight were you using?? Was it the tungsten or the lead weights?? I've heard that the tungstens are notorious for fraying, and or breaking your line.. I may have had that happen once this weekend but not sure .. Also what sort of knots were you tying for your set up??

Hope you figure it out? Best of luck to you, on c-rigging :)!!

Tux

Guest ouachitabassangler

I use Vanish, never Vanish Transition, at the end of braid. I've lost a lot of baits trying to use Transition.

Jim

did you put a bead between the weight and the swivel to protect the knot

I've heard that the tungstens are notorious for fraying, and or breaking your line..

Guys, he said his leader was breaking... beads and weights are on the mainline, above the swivel.

P-Line or Seaguar Fluorocarbon Leader! Not the fluoro line, the LEADER material.

Berkley Van-Trans IS bad news!

FR

Change leader material and check your knots.  Wet line before tightening the knot.

Number one:  I know it sucks and takes time but retie.  Retie all the time.  When carolina rigging you are dragging it over some nastie stuff.......so retie.........and always check your beads because they break often.

I think your problem is the line choice.  You have braid and florocarbon.........both have very little stretch.........which in deep water can be good because you get a solid hookset..........however when you use such heavy braid youre putting that flourocarbon under some real stretch.

What i usually use is mono for my main line and floro for my leader............because that leader can take a beating and wont break when you set the hook hard...........because the mono is strong but has stretch which cusions the hookset.

However always be aware of the condition of your line.

50# braid has no stretch and puts alot of strain on leader.change the transition to a heavier # test flouro leader material.if your using 10# test move up yo 12.also use a palomar knot ,wet it good and pull it up slow.flouro is bad for heating at the knot and weakening,causing it to fail.

I had the same problem, but I was using Vanish, which I love.  I come to the conclusion that it was the no-stretch braid putting too much pressure on the leader.  I tried other leaders and had the same results.  What worked for me was to switch my main line to 14#trilene and still use 12# vanish on my leader.  The braid was a little more generous on feel, but I have not broke a single time and I've caught fish up to 6# on it with no problem.  It helped to have the stretch of a mono to absorb the hookset some.  This is just what worked for me in the same situation.  I almost give C.R. rigging b/c of the breaking.  Give it a shot and let me know how it turned out for you.

Darold