Sign in to follow this  
WishICouldFish

What else would you suggest?

Well, I went to Wal*Mart tonight, but only found a few things.

Rooster Tail-- what color would be best?

Rat L Trap-- I got a 1/4oz and a 1/8oz...which do you thing would be better?

Also, they didn't have any Senko worms...but I got some "Zoom" worms.  Four inches long in a watermelon seed color.  Do you think that will work?

Someone mentioned something about Mepps--  well I got a "Killer Kit"  with six different things in it...none of which do I know anything about  ;D

So that's what I've gotten so far just from going to Wal*Mart.  I'm going to try the trading post and Dick's Sporting Goods tomarrow.  I'd like to find the "beetlespin" that a few of you mentioned.  Anything else you think I should really have?  My father said he would like a "banjo minnow"  does that sound like something that would work?

Thanks again,

Britt

OH...LAST BUT NOT LEAST.....The biggest majority of fish that were tagged were white perch.

Guest avid

Your starting off with many of the lures us "old timers" started off with.  Good choices all.  But don't be afraid to "upsize"  your offerings.  They don't call them "Largemouth" bass for nothing.  They have will eat larger lures with ease.  For example, the standard size ratLtrap is 1/2 oz.  I've caught 6" bass, crappie, and get this... 8" golden shiner on a 1/2 oz ratltrap.  That being said, you have lures that will definitly catch bass, now go fish them with the #1 bass catcher of all CONFIDENCE

good luck

avid

All good lures that you bought. Might suggest a spinnerbait, you can get these at dicks for 1.99 and they are strkie king they are pretty good. You just throw it out and reel it in.

P.S. dont get the banjo minnow its a scam.

The biggest problem I see with you from the way you typed things is that you need confidence in your equipment. Without it (confidence) you wont do much. Its not what you fish with it how you fish with it. Nothing is wrong with what you baught. Try to find a Bass Pro Shop in your area or a Tackle specific shop first before going to a place like Wal-Mart, believe me they need your business to stay in business.

I agree with Avid.What you got will catch fish but don't be scared to offer them a real meal.Alot of people would disagree with me but I suggest plastic worms t-rigged.You will mis a few fish but you will get bit.If you haven't taken time to browse around the article section,you should.

Your starting off with many of the lures us "old timers" started off with. Good choices all. But don't be afraid to "upsize" your offerings. They don't call them "Largemouth" bass for nothing. They have will eat larger lures with ease. For example, the standard size ratLtrap is 1/2 oz. I've caught 6" bass, crappie, and get this... 8" golden shiner on a 1/2 oz ratltrap. That being said, you have lures that will definitly catch bass, now go fish them with the #1 bass catcher of all CONFIDENCE

good luck

avid

This is VERY true I caught a baby largemouth no joke it couldnt of been more then 4 inches long and it fit a whole 3-point hook that was on a torpedo in its mouth just the other day. Even small mouth can take more then you think.

Your starting off with many of the lures us "old timers" started off with. Good choices all. But don't be afraid to "upsize" your offerings. They don't call them "Largemouth" bass for nothing. They have will eat larger lures with ease. For example, the standard size ratLtrap is 1/2 oz. I've caught 6" bass, crappie, and get this... 8" golden shiner on a 1/2 oz ratltrap. That being said, you have lures that will definitly catch bass, now go fish them with the #1 bass catcher of all CONFIDENCE

good luck

avid

This is VERY true I caught a baby largemouth no joke it couldnt of been more then 4 inches long and it fit a whole 3-point hook that was on a torpedo in its mouth just the other day. Even small mouth can take more then you think.

Thats not uncommon, as it has also happened to me twice this year...those little suckers can be voracious. And once again, Avid is absolutely correct (ooo it hurts to say that :) ). Confidence and experience are the best fishing tactics I know of.

(BTW, with this post I became a full member...whoo hoo!)

With the roostertails, I'd pick these colors, brown and white with a gold blade, then black with a silver blade,  white with silver blade, and any of the chartrues(sort of a lime green color) colored ones.... Those seem to work the best for me...

Some folks use snap swivels with spinners to keep down on line twist, but I personally dont... It seems to take away from the action for me... Yea you'll get line twist, but that can be fixed by just just stripping off about 30 or 50' of line and reeling it back in thru grass with NOTHING on the end of the line..

Btw, how's your knot tying?? Since you're green to fishing, I'll assume you're not up to speed on it... Practice the palomar knot, it's easy, quick and very good knot for line strength... I think there's a pic on this site of how to tie it, if not just do a search, you shouldn't have any trouble finding it.

Best of luck to you !!

I'm not very confident with this equipment because I have no idea what any of it does.  The only chance I will have to go out fishing before the tournament is Friday night and Saturday.  And trust me, I will be out there!!  You guys have no idea how much I appreaciate all of your suggestions.  I still have three more days to shop for stuff so if you have anymore ideas that will win me a scholarship just let me know!!  I'm really actually very excited about the tournament.  

As far as Bass Pro shops or something.....we don't have ANYTHING like that around here.  Wal*Mart has already driven everything out.

And for the knots...my dad knows how to do all that stuff.  It really sucks that everyone that I talk to from the area says that the best thing to use is worms.  d**n artificial lures only rules  >:(!!

Well...Thanks again,

Britt

I would be targeting the white perch, In my opinion they will be the easiest to catch and the odds of catching a tagged one are better.  For those I recommend: in this order

1. Black or yellow beetlespin.

2. 1/4 ounce  hair jigs, in black yellow,brown or blue/white.

3.  Roostertails or mepps spinners, which you have same colors as above.

The spinnerbaits I would start off with a medium to fast retireve.  If no fish then, slow it down and make it a little more stop and go retrieve, if still no fish I would reel it just fast enough to keep the spinner blades turning.

i'm sure your dad will know how to work the jigs, if not someone here will let you know, as I can't seem to put it into words right now.

Good luck

Alright, I just got back from Dick's Sporting Goods and here is what I got:

Four Beetle Spins-- one orange with black stripes (1/4oz) one white with a red dot (1/4oz), one black with yellow stripes (1/8oz), and some see threw yellow (1/8oz)  all have silver "blades" I guess is the correct term.

A four inch floating Rapala original (silver)

A Strike King spinner bait (1/4oz) yellow and blue

And a bunch of Rooster tails all different colors and sizes....which size would you recomend?  The lagest one I got is a 3/8oz black with a silver blade.

I'm super excited for the tournament now.  Dad and I are going out fishing tommorw afternoon.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Wish me luck!!

Thanks again,

Britt

i have 1 more lure for u to try

a panther martin

i have used mepps and rostertail spinners

but nothing compares to the panther martin the blade is almost as big as the whole lure

i find with them they sink alittle slower and the blades turn easier at a slower reeling rate

from bluegils crappie bass perch and northerns theres nothing better

for a lure that is no bigger then inch- 2 inches i have caught a 4lb bass and 10 lb northern

northern was supper lucky hooked in the corner of his mouth

there is a boat harbour i have fished since early childhood private no one gets to fish it unless u own a boat i have been run out of there to many times to count

using this lure

there was a guy and kid fishin with a bobber from the docks [next to his boat ]

he watched me catch both fish and i relished both fish and he alsomost fell in the water could not belive i let them go

lets say i am welcome at the harbour anytime i want to go

he told me i was welcome there anytime and if any 1 gave me a hassle to tell them i was his guest

and all it took was a little catch and let go for someone else to catch

sorry i got alittle carried away

u have a bunch of great lures and should do great id add 1 more lure to ur list

But don't be afraid to "upsize"  your offerings.  They don't call them "Largemouth" bass for nothing.  They have will eat larger lures with ease.

avid

yeah. i use crankbaits alot and ive caught bass that are THE SIZE of my lure. same with hula poppers.those are hilarious catches. try getting some rapala deep running shads. they are the bomb. ;)