Sign in to follow this  
uncomp06

Choose My Fishing Spot

I'm ready to start fishing exclusively for bigger bass, and want to catch a seven pound plus by the end of the summer.  I have fished close to twenty different locations this summer including golf course ponds, small lakes, and gravel pits.  I've narrowed it down to two locations and I'm going to focus on only one of these locations by working big baits slowly in order to start catching bigger fish. Help me decide which one has a better chance of producing a seven pound plus!  Keep in mind that all fishing at these locations occurs at night.

#1- Golf Course Pond - This pond is approximately four to five acres and has two docks, lilypads, and is kind of Y-shaped.  The water is relatively deep in some areas, I would guess up to ten feet at the deepest part.  When fishing this spot, I hear HUGE splashes, almost like a bowling ball being dropped into the water. I dont know how a bass could possibly make a splash that big, but also wonder what else could make a splash like that? I have caught about 50 bass from this spot, in about five trips, and the every bass I've caught are just under a pound, 12-14oz.  It just makes me wonder If i can catch one of those bigger bass I hear if I just upsized my lures to something like an MS Slammer.  Also, since the bass I do catch here are are VERY similar in size, it makes me think the place was recently stocked for possibly the second or third time.

OR...

#2 Neighborhood Pond - This one is between one and two acres in size, is more shallow than the Golf Course Pond, and is covered in weeds until just about a foot from the surface, with very clear water.  I have been here about five times, and caught a 5lb-5oz, 4lb-7oz, and several others under 3. However, I want bass bigger than 5lbs. and was wondering if a lake this small can produce large numbers of big fish?

Thanks for the help.

With the information that you provided I would choose your neighborhood pond. It has already yielded larger bass and the smaller size of the pond will allow you to fish it more thoroughly. The golf course pond sounds like it's full of juvenille bass and those splashes that you hear could be carp or even the resident beaver. Good luck in your quest to get that big bass, whichever pond you choose.

I'd agree with the first response,but also say......the golf course pond is probally overloaded with fish,and that's the reason they are all small.I don't know of many golf courses that stock bass in there ponds either.Too many fish,and not enough bait fish for them to eat.Too much competition will surely result in smaller size fish.Stick with the neighborhood pond,as it has already shown you it holds quality fish.

I have had good results at a golf course that I have permission to fish.  Most golf courses stock their ponds with carp and those things can get huge!  That is probably what you are hearing.  I also think (I could be totally wrong about this) that golf course bass are less likely to spook, because they are used to heavy foot traffic at the edges of the water and the constant barrage of golf balls raining down on them.  The pond I fish, the bite is super hot and just about every cast will yield a decent fish....2lb and up.  I'm lucky, cause I am the only guy who fishes these ponds.  I even get to use a golf cart!  In your situation though, your pond sounds like the bass may be stunted, and I'd fish the neighborhood pond.

The splashes you are hearing from what it sounds like are defeintly carp. They see anything out of the ordinary and they roll on the top of the water and splash pretty loud. I know this because the pond I fish has about 10 of these in it. I agree that the bass are probablly stunted and the neighborhood pond sounds like a big fish producer. You might very well have caught the biggest fish in that pond with the 5-5. As long as there is plenty of forage for the fish they will keep getting bigger and bigger, but it souinds like it is a very productive pond. I don't know about where you are from but a 5-5 here is something worth bragging about.

I'm betting that the slashs your hearing are carp to. Go with the pond it's given up some good fish.

Now if you target just the bigger ones I'm betting you will get the 7+lb bass your after.

There's no way of knowing if either of these ponds has any 7+ pounders (and I kind of doubt it).  But given you've caught 50 fish the same size from the golf course, you won't find a 7+ pounder in there.  There may be some a little bigger than the ones you've caught, but not a lot bigger.  Spend your time on the neighborhood pond.  And good luck!

Neighborhood pond all the way. But make sure all the bigger bass are removed and keep some of the smallr fish or you will have a bunch of runts in there. But perhaps since it is in a neighborhood most of the fish that manage to live long enough to reach 7lbs are removed the instant they are caught. Thus allowing all the fish to be smaller. So it is a double edged sword.

If people would just simply C&R their big bass we all wouldn't have to be asking these things...

spot number one should be perfect if you keep fishin in that earea you should eventually catch a big one on a topwater early in the mornin...if your fishin at dusk i suggest a rattle trap or a deep divin crankbait at midday with beads in it whatever floats your boat

I agree they are most likely carp making the noise but ive fished a few ponds including one were i caught a 7lb 3 oz hog that my first 5-8 visits i caught a ton of fish but nothing over a pound but stuck with it and pulled out a monster so if i were you id hit them both pretty hard with big baits and topwater rather than focus on one I fish tons and tons of different lakes and ponds and have caught big bass 5+lb out of majority of them so even if a pond or lake doesnt appear to have big fish keep trying bc theres a good chance it does