Sign in to follow this  
burleytog

Where would you fish this lake?

Just looking at the topo map I would say those steep banks near the dam.  The creeks should also be good if there is a good current.  That's a good looking lake, is it public or private?

Do you have anymore info on the lake? Such as water clarity, bottom composition, availablility of underwater cover, time you are going to be fishing, etc. etc. Any info you provide will help us better guide you where there be feesh.

I would start down by the dam as well and hit the point and drops near deeper water...the nose looking point on the north side near the d**n.

I would use a jig, c-rig or deep crank on the ledges that goes from 5-25 feet of water around the dam and boths sides of the point just to the right of the word "camping" where the water goes from 5-20 feet pretty quick.

good luck

Without knowing anything else about the lake, I'd concentrate on those points on the lower lake with C-rigged lizards, deeper cranks, slo-rolling a rat-l-trap and a T-rigged worm in a 10" size if I catch a fish using one of the search baits.  If the lake has vegetation and or one of those arms on the lake has an active creek dumping water in my strategy changes considerably.  

Looking at this lake I see allot of points and points happen to be a fav of mine and some have deep water nearby. I would hit each point that I have marked on the image. T-rig, drop shot, deep cranks, spinnerbaits, even topwater could produce on these points. I would also hit the deep transition on the dam with a drop shot or weighted fluke on the rip rap on the dam. (Provided there is rip rap on the dam)

untitled1copyvz2.jpg

The first cut on the north side after the dam has good depth against the bank and maybe some current there. You may have an eddy depending on which way the water flows which would be a bonus.

Keith pointed some good stops that I would as choose to fish.

Being the lake is very small you might be able to fish almost all of it.

I wouldn't pass up fishing the bridge with a crankbait or grub. Fishing frogs across any duckweed or matted weeds I could find in the back of coves.

Biggest question I have would be what is that dam like. Is it functioning and making current by releasing water or drawing water? If so, which way does the water flow? Looks to me like the wtaer flows west. But the map doesn't show any freeder creeks or release creek at the west end. I'm guessing at the end of one of those two coves maybe both there will be a creek.

If there is current you can pretty much figure this lake out very quickly.

Early in the A.M. I would hit the shallow areas. Then move to the deep end as the sun rises higher.

I have no idea what kind of cover is on the lake, bottom composition, etc.  The lake is managed by the VDGIF, although the surrounding lands are managed by the county parks & rec dept.

I'll probably fish an evening, camp out that night, do some night fishing, then fish in the AM.  

Here's the main page on the state's website for the lake.

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/FISHING/waterbodies/display.asp?id=112

I just wish they would allow night fishing on this lake.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/waterbodies/maps/Laurel_Bed_Lake.pdf