Sign in to follow this  
RODBENDER

hot shallow water

I fish about a 1,000 acre lake on the NOXUBEE NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE that has very shallow water ,,,in the spring only about 6 to 7 hundred acres is fishable and as summer lingers on probably goes down to 500 acres fishable ....with an average dept of 5 or 6 ft  ...water temperature is often 95 degrees at mid day .....these fish tend to shut down about the middle of June , except for a good hour after daylight ofers the only action .....Night fishing isn't allowed ....

Anyone got any ideas for this situation ....

I know the fish are there pre spawn and post spawn is very good on this lake every year ..

Guest the_muddy_man

Id look for 2 things  weed beds b/c they put cover and oxygen in the mix  and I have a shallow pond or two  i fish that are somewhat hot by mid summer. I look for little streams and springs and fish the cover closet to them Also after a downpour plastic worms close to shore I think the fish, at least some of the fish, key in on food thats getting wahed in  

Find the cooler water and you will find the fish.  Streams and springs flowing into the lake can cool down the water a little bit, and don't forget the shade from  nearby trees.  I've caught several bass in  98 degree heat in 4 foot of water while fishing the shade.

Look for creeks flowing into the lake. Often creeks are coverd by shade from trees and has plenty of rapids to cool the water down and  that lowers the temputare ok the surrounding area on were the creek flows into the lake and has plenty of oxrgyn.

Guest avid

LIke most people you probably fish when you can, but I would definitly want to be on the water following a good downpour.

i fish in shallow water (actually a wetlands)& in the summer months & i always find fish buried up in the bushes or in any cover available...the place i fish is about 4 ft deep throughout so their is no deep holes or transitional areas to look for....i go early in the morning & fish deep into cover & do very well....good luck

if you cant find a creek scan the water and look for bubbles continually coming up to the surface in one spot...this could indicate a spring and bass could congregate around this area because it should provide them with the oxygen they need...it could also attract smaller baitfish which in turn would also attract the bass

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?  I guess it's because I fish in the deep South where it's warmer longer than in other places but I find Bass catchable in HOT weather in the shallows without seaking out shade necessarily.  The last few weeks, the temps have been in the 90s and up to 100+ degrees.  They've been biting cr/baits(on a fairly fast retrieve too) and T-rigged Zoom VT Speed Worms so they biting in the 3-5' depths for me :-?

Dan