Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

What could I have done ?

Question#1

I was at the lake yesterday and fishing the parallel to the bank on my left. Suddenly there was a huge eruption in the water right by the bank,like someone just threw a boulder in the water. It wasnt a bird,I sometimes see COOTS making a ruckus,Im convinced it was a fish,and it mustve had some size to it. What could I possibly have thrown in that situation or would it have been best to just leave such an eruption alone?

Question#2

I moved a little bit to the right of where I originally started and I saw the top of the water come alive. Fish were feeding and im pretty sure it was Bass because you could see the green hue when they would splash about. I tried throwing an Albino Colored  Fluke(Bass Assassin) into the middle of the commotion but got nothing. Was throwing the Fluke a waste of time? What else could have produced a bite in that situation?

My answer to #1: I don't think you could have done much in that situation to catch the perpitrator. Been there, didn't catch that!

My answer to #2: I would have thrown your lure well past the commotion and brought it through the melee and then kept repeating the move. There was probably no time to change lures in that situation.

I encountered that same situation a couple of weeks ago but the fish were about twenty yards out past where I could cast. I was bummed.

Question one-  Couldn't have hurt anything to throw at it, that's kinda a reflex for me.

Question two-  It would definitely help to know the size of the baitfish they were feeding on.  I've been in situations where they wouldn't touch a big fluke, but would tear a super fluke jr. up.

I think you made the right decision to throw a fluke into the commotion. Ideally, you are trying to mimic the baitfish.

Sometimes a crankbait will work better...Other times a rattletrap will get the job done...

Here is a real neat picture of a bass that I caught that was in the midst of a feeding frenzy on Lake Norman during my last Women's Bassmaster Tournament.

This was one of my first days out on the water, and so I took a wild guess about what the baitfish look like. I got real lucky with my selection, because as it turned out...my Glass Shad Rap was pretty much identical to the baitfish. I'd have about a 75% success rate if I casted this right smack dab into the middle of the feeding frenzy. Talk about a WILD time!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

WBT_Lake_Norman_2006_016.sized.jpg

Reelady,I have a few of that same glass rap.They work well in the late summer and fall here on Ky.

Cool pic BTW.

fishinaz,good subjestions so far.My top 2 lure selections would have been a Sammy 100(walk the dog or spook style lure)or I would have had to wake a spinner bait.That would mean to reel the spinner up fast enough to bring it to the surface,let the blades surface and kick over then kill it for a second.If waking didn't produce I would just slow it down a little.Thats my 2 best options for schooling fish or fish in a positive feeding mood.Another good one would be a buzzbait and I always have something t-rigged on hand like a 7 1/2 worm.

I always throw at a  boil if I think it is a bass.Especially in the shallows,especially in ponds or small lakes.

Another thing to try with scholling fish that are feeding is to let your bait fall through the school.  A lot of bass are lazy and pick off the dying fish as they fall.

Also, bring your bait back under the school for the same reason.  I have had success fishing spinnerbaits under the school of shad before.

Brad

That's a cool picture Reel Lady. 8-)

I did a little shore fishing at Lake Norman while your tournament was going on. I caught a nice 16 inch bass on a Rapala floater while reeling it in. It surprised the heck out of me as I was just fiddlin' around with different lures killing some time Friday morning. I had thought the bass had gone deep but this one was in about 4' of water.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.

Tom

question#1 I would have thrown a crankbait out there with a slow retrieve because if it was that big of a bass it wouldn't be that eager to hit anything to hard to get if it just went for something on the top.

question#2 I would have thrown a topwater past the action because it seemed like the fish were going crazy for something on the top, if that didn't work i would have thrown a crankbait far passed and brought it in with a medium speed retrieve.