Sign in to follow this  
FatBoy

UPDATE: fat ika c-rig?

Anyone tried a fat ika on a c-rig?  Seems like it should work.  With a long enough leader I should be able to get some of the nice ika action.  Do you agree?

I'm fishing some deep water (flooded quarry) from a canoe tomorrow and the only soft plastics I have on hand are a bunch of senkos, some yum craw papis, and a few fat ikas.  

Well.......I split shot rig senkos and they work really way presented that way. the worst that could happen is that you don 't catch a thing.

Hooksets are for free.

Maybe.

That's not how I fish them. I am not looking for "action". I fish Fat Ika like a live crawdad. I'll be interested in how they work out for you guys on a C-rig.

RW, I guess by "action" I meant the backwards fall and wiggling tentacles.  Not darting movement through the water like a tube or something.  

This is quoted from RW's "infamous" magic lure thread:

I cast parallel to cover or structure, let the lure settle to the bottom and fish it like a Senko with a short (6-12") horizontal sweep. I then let the lure fall on slack line so that it falls vertically, not moving forward. I work the lure slowly, letting it pause for 10-20 seconds or more before moving it again. I like to picture a crawdad moving over rocks and hiding.

I can see doing a similar thing on a c-rig at more depth.  No?

Regardless, I'll let everybody know how it works out.  I'll also be experimenting with a new DD22 and some other cranks so I may not be able to give the ika c-rig a thorough work out.  But I'll definitely fish it for a portion of the trip.

OK, not much to report unfortunately.  I didn't catch anything on the fat ika c-rig.  I did have one fish hit, but didn't get the hook set.  I wouldn't draw any conclusions from this as the fishing was pretty slow tonight.  I just couldn't find where the fish were.  It was a 50 or 60 acre quarry, very deep, I've only been to once before.  And we were fishing from a canoe.  No depth/fish finder.  

I did catch one 12" bass on a Norman DD22.  Had another on a jig, but I got too anxious and my line broke right on the knot.  But that's for another post.  My partner caught only one small crappie on a shad rap (almost as big as the fish).  

Hmmm...still not sure what you mean.  Lots of people use a variety of creature and lizard baits on c-rigs and some of them are pretty heavy.  GYCB's Kreature is a perfect example.  If you're trying to imitate a crawdad scooting across the bottom I don't see how weight matters.  What I mean is that I would expect the fat ika to have essentially the same presentation in 20' of water tied to the end of a c-rig as it does in <10' of water t-rigged weightless.  

Now whether the fish are interested in that presentation at that depth with given cover etc. is another question entirely.  Yesterday they weren't.   :'(

Never used a fat ika on a C-Rig but I have used a Spidergrub on one.  I was impressed with the results.