Sign in to follow this  
FishinChef

Need some weedy pond advice

Found a new pond with the family last weekend. Caught a mess of bluegills and sunnies; also saw some LM cruising around the surface. This is a small pond in a park with algae and weeds over 80% of the surface. A few lily pads but mostly muck. There are tons of baitfish in the shallow water by the banks. I've gotten a few bites on larger texas rigged plastic worms but wasn't able to hook up. Everything else I throw comes back covered in scum; jigs, cranks, spinnerbaits, etc...

My question is what bait/lure performs best weedless in algae and mucky conditions? Also what techniques should I use? I know there is better water nearby but the kids like this pond and it's hard enough to get them to go fishing anyway. Thanks. ;)

I would give some kind of a weedless frog a shot or some kind of weedless topwater, maybe run a buzzbait were you can.Don't give up on the worms also try them weightless if you haven't already.  Good luck and good job on taking kids fishing. 8-)

throw a weightless senko, let it set a few minutes, then "hop" it back in. ...kids are impatient, don't like this a lot, but, this Will catch fish.  

and, personally, i've found this better than a frog  - try a merthiolate trickworm.  throw it in some of the thickest places & slowly retrieve it.   be sure to keep your eyes on it at all times, for bass like to hide under that thick "goop" & bust out on that easy meal.

Guest ouachitabassangler

For thick muck that weedless frog would be a go-to. So would yo-yoing a heavy jig&pig or jig&craw, heavy enough to poke through and reach bottom. Right below the muck ought to be clear open water around the main plant stems. Think of it like trees in a forest. You can see past and around the trees a long ways. The tree canopy, though, can block the sun out from being so thick. Get the lure below the canopy. Fish it in place between the 'trees' a while, up & down, then moving it to another spot.

Jim

i fish some ponds like you are describing and my go to baits are frogs and soft plastics.  the fat ika is an absolute killer in these conditiions as you get the positives of weightless plastics and its heavy enough to get some penetration in spots.  i like the ribbit frogs but a hollow frog like the bronzeye can also be good.  senkos are great especially if their are spots where you can get some freefall and room for them to drop.

matt

A pond with a lot of algae on its surface is very difficult to fish.

No matter what you throw you will be removing slop and slime from your baits after every cast.

You can try to throw into the open spaces with a Senko or any Zoom worm and understand that yo will still have to remove the junk from your bait each time you reel in.

Or, you can try to use a buzzbaitand hope for the best as you drag it over the algae.

The same is true if the pond is overloaded with weeds.  You will have to remove the foilage each time you retrieve your bait no matter what it is.

As long as you understand what is going to happen and that it is a ritual you will be doing as long as you fish the pond then you will have a good time.

I fished a friend's farm pond and it was loaded with algae and weeds but I managed to catch a beautiful 3 pound largemouth bass on a Senko dropped into an open spot.  I also used a small white Rooster Tail in the open areas and nailed some beautiful bream and a small largemouth.

If there is no shore cover the fish will stay under the algae or in the weeds so it can be difficult to find them.  But once you get your bait in front of them they will take it and run.

Let us know how you do.

Thanks for the advice.  Haven't been able to get any frogs yet but weightless senkos dragged on top of the lily pads got me a 12" LM.  Now for the rest of the pond; the lily pad area is very small in shallow water.  There is a small section of deeper water at the tail end where a stream flows out and down a hill.  Weeds and muck still cover this area but there are spots in the open depending on wind.

What would be my best bet in deeper water with weeds?  I was thinking heavy jigs or maybe a carolina rig.

Thanks everyone! ;)

if you can target the holes in the weed mat you can yo yo heavy jigs.  you can also punch through the weed mat and yo yo jigs in spots where there are open areas underneath of the mat.  if it is not too deep a fat ika in the opn areas can be good.  you can drag it across the mat and let it drop in the holes.  for the kind of lake you suggest i think a c-rig would be difficult to use unless there are areas where you can target just the weed edges, but that dosent sound like the case.

matt

What would be my best bet in deeper water with weeds?

I would really give a heavier jig and pig some consideration. Just toss it through the muck, let it sink, and yo-yo it up in down in the same spot a few times. If no bite there, try another spot. One more thing to try. Get a hold of a Booyah 1/2 oz. swim jig. Try for a color that mimics the baitfish the best in that pond. I rig these with matching colored Zoom Swimmin' Chunks. Do the same thing with this, cast it through the algae and weeds and let it sink. Then just vary your retrieve back to you. Like Jim said, underneath all that should look kinda like a forest. The head on that swim jig will come through it very well. The bass will already be in very good ambush position under the muck and will hopefully think it is a baitfish that has wandered into the area. Good luck.

One thing I have done in a similar situation is try a Senko or Lake Fork Ring Fy -- fish it on top of the muck like a frog (this will sometimes draw a strike from under neath) and when you get to the edge of the hole, just let it drop (let out some line so that it falls straight).  This way you get the best of both presentations and can increase your bite ratio.

What works in my weedy pond this time of  year is to target ANY open areas with a zoom super fluke weightless, and worked near the surface. Also a big producer, which will work well in the deeper weeds, get a hula grub and rig it with a 1/16 oz. weighted hook. this is light enough so it wont fall into the muck and weeds, but it will sit on top of them.

rocknfish and I are on the same page here.....I would be tossing a weightless zoom super-fluke all days. The bass come out of those weeds and HAMMER this bait!

I'd throw a fluke first and foremost.  Topwater frogs, floating worms, or a styrofoamed tube wouldn't hurt either.  To punch through, I'd go with Jim and get a 1/2 or 3/4 oz jig.  Cast it out, let it bust through, then rip and shake it to clean it up.  Sometimes acting like an idiot with the rod trying to clean up a bait will get you bit.  It's a technique that's worked for me in the swamps of LA.  Good luck and hope this helps

My first strike was actually on a zoom superfluke, tried for an hour afterwards and switched to the senko.  The fluke actually caught alot of muck on the end but I think anything I throw in this pond will.  Went out this morning and tried again, several strikes but no hookups.  Still getting the hang of this.  They seemed to hang out on the deeper edge of the lily pads.  Most of my strikes were on the edge rather than in the middle.  I don't have any weedless topwaters yet either.  I usually fish streams and small rivers for smallies.  Do have plenty of jigs and plastic chunks and plan on using them.  I'll be back out tomorrow and am going to try the fluke again and I found some 6" salamanders laying around one of my boxes.

Thanks again, anybody need any cooking advice let me know.  My handle ain't FishinChef for nothing.