Sign in to follow this  
BucketmouthAngler13

Corn kills fish?

Guest avid

I suppose you'll get all kinds of scientific answers to this quetion, but it seems to me the only way corn could kill a fish is if you hit him the head with an unopened can

I have read several things about trout and corn. They all have said that it doesn't kill the fish but it is impossible for them to digest it so they get no nutrition from it.

Illegal to use in RI trout water.  Don't know why, assumed it wasn't digestable and maybe clogged digestive tract?

We can use it for stocked trout here in GA and I have seen it when it comes out of the trout. You can tell that they got nothing from the corn they ate. The fish basicly starves to death if that is all they eat.

If you go to one of the other forums(Other species) someone posted that too much corn can be toxic to trout.

I grew up fishing in PA for trout with my Dad. Corn was one of 4 baits we'd use for them. I've never heard of it being harmful to them.

I don't remember if it's illegal to use in Cali, or just illegal to "chum" (bait an area) with it. In any case, I once had a small pond in my back yard, in which I kept all kinds of fish (pretty much everything but trout) and I fed them corn a couple times, and basically, it just passed through there digestive system without being entirely digested.

Now, not to get sick here, but corn basically does the same thing in our digestive system, and not only does this not hurt us, but it actually helps us to digest other foods, as well as provide some nutrients itself.

Now (kind of gross, but funny) I actually took 3 semesters of waste water treatment in college. During a field trip of a waste water plant, we got to one section of screening, that had collected a whole bunch of corn...... At which time, one very bright (not really) young lady asked the instructor, "Did this water come from a farm" ? Uhhh...... Well....... Doh ! :-) LOL

Peace,

Fish

Guest ouachitabassangler

When corn is loaded onto barges on the Arkansas River I try to be nearby catching hoardes of bass & cats, which love eating it. Around here folks chum with cans of whole corn. I doubt there is any toxicity unless the corn contains some toxin like aflatoxin in deer corn which "can" kill deer that eat enough of it. But so can just feeding deer too much clean corn cause them to die or become disabled enough to fall to predators.

Jim

Guest avid
Hmm. Now that you mention it, everytime i have corn and fish on my plate, the fish is always dead!

Scott

he he he,  now thats what I'm talkin about  

Illegal to use in RI trout water. Don't know why, assumed it wasn't digestable and maybe clogged digestive tract?

I think you've got it right LBH. Corn is not well digestable. Take it from an Iowa boy... "you don't buy corn.. you just rent it for a while." ;D ;D

Guest ouachitabassangler

;D  Funny....

When we had calves and corn-fed them for slaughter we also used the manure for gardening. Never once saw a kernel of corn in that. Some digestive tracts have the micro-organisms needed to digest corn. Humans don't have enough of what it takes like ruminants (cows, etc). We also don't have what it takes to digest a fish hook before it does serious damage. If corn and chumming with it is legal for fishing, use it. For many years I've put corn meal in socks and tied off to snags, letting them soak a few feet down. They attract baitfish, improving concentration of many game species.

Jim

Guest avid

I wonder if in RI or some of the other states on the major flyways outlaw corn chumming because it is a duck magnet.   a guy could spend one evening chumming with corn for trout then get out early the next moring and blast a limit of ducks.

Just a thought.