Sign in to follow this  
dink

C'mon.... TAKE it!

Quick question for everyone:

After reading a post made by Redtail concernning missed hits on a frog, I started thinking about all the short strikes I have had lately on a buzzbait, fluke and Chug Bug.  Could this be a seasonal occurence where fish everywhere are in the middle of a change of moods?  Or is it just coincidental?  Has anyone else been experiencing more missed topwater hits than usual?  

NOT JUST TOPWATER. I'VE BEEN GETTING ALOT OF SHORT STRIKES ON MY SPINNERBAITS TOO. ALL MY SPINNERBAITS AND BUZZBAITS HAVE TRAILER HOOKS AND I'M STILL GETTING SHORT STRIKES.

ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS?

I got a couple of short strikes on a buzzbait early Saturday morning while on the river. I didn't have any trailer hooks though... :'(. May have been the difference between the skunkin' I got and catchin' a few.

Same thing happened to me on diffrent topwater baits sat and sun .:o

Maybe there is a pattern this time of year More people will confirm.

A lot of times when you get short strikes, it is not because they are biting it but just trying to scare it away (As you probably already knew).  On buzzbaits, I like to use a small treble hook and nip off one of the hooks and use that as a trailer hook so that the nipped end is on the bottom and thus fairly weedless. Those seem to be a little more sticky than a standard straight shank hook. MAKE SURE ALL YOUR HOOKS ARE REALLY SHARP. Drag the tips on your thumb nail and if it isn't super sticky to your nail, file it.

Also, vary your retrieve. Sometimes when you get those short strikes, the bass are trying to give you the hint that they are almost ready to bite but they want a little bit different retreive. If you have a steady retreive and you get a short strike, try steady - then pause - then steady - then pause. Works really really good for me.

we were just discussing this at a club meeting...seems like the fish have been alot less "enthusiastic"...alot of missed hits. One of the guys thinks that, at least by us, this has been a better year weather wise than we have had in a few years, actually had normal rainfall and not near as many days of excessive heat as we have had in the past 5 years or so...his theory is that the lakes and rivers are actually healthier this year and thus there is more natural forage available and more for the fish to eat ( I have noticed more bait fish than usual in several lakes and rivers) so they are not as "hungry" or aggressive.

sounds plausible to me...but who knows...I just know I am getting tired of missing good fish!

This happened to me yesterday when I was fishing a spinner near the top of the water, and the fish was pretty big. :(

Theres are always a reason for short strikes.    The fish are trying to tell you something about your bait isn't right.

Too much noise, not enough.

Color isn't quite right.

Sometimes, it just requires tweaking in small changes.  Boat isn't postioned correctly, maybe your casting un-natural shadow out there with the sun at your back

Skirt is too long, too short.

Cadence is too fast, not fast enough.

No two cast should be the same until you have figured the pattern or how they won't you to throw it.

Sometimes its boat postition.    

Most times, top water doesn't last long, so making subtle changes is key to get on the bite before its gone.

Hookem

Matt

his theory is that the lakes and rivers are actually healthier this year and thus there is more natural forage available and more for the fish to eat ( I have noticed more bait fish than usual in several lakes and rivers) so they are not as "hungry" or aggressive.

More "selective" is the term I think we're looking for here. Lots of baitfish in our lake this year too but I'm pretty sure I can't say with my eye whether there is more or less than yrs past.

The only reason I may have had more short hits this year is because I've fished more this year :)

From fish that get lure shy to fish that are trying to "stun" a topwater,...there's gonna be lots of misses, that's why it's called "fishin" ;)

As long as you are doing all you can to prevent them. From slowing or speeding up your retrieve to outfitting everything with trailer hooks andf keeping hooks sharp, all you can do is your best but often times, even that won't be enough. The Bass gotta win once in a while! lol.

Plus,...you gotta admit,...nothing keeps you coming back for more than a hog that missed the day before.

You are absolutely correct about the increased number of short strikes.  This is caused by the recent increase in lunar pressures caused by the proximity of Mars to our Moon.

You are absolutely correct about the increased number of short strikes. This is caused by the recent increase in lunar pressures caused by the proximity of Mars to our Moon.

:-?

You are absolutely correct about the increased number of short strikes. This is caused by the recent increase in lunar pressures caused by the proximity of Mars to our Moon.

My thoughts exactly. I think Matt pretty much summed it up.

I can pretty much always trigger a secondary topwater strike when I'm using a spittin image or a pop-r by letting the lure sit STILL.  Sometimes I'll drop my topwater rod, step on the handle, pick up my ika/senko rod and cast as close to my topwater as possible.  Other times I'll finish my retrieve and cast a soft plastic into the area.  Depends on if they are schooling or not.  You would be amazed how many follow up strikes you can get like that if you're quick.

Guest the_muddy_man

It has nothing to do with Mars ITS BECAUSE PLUTO WAS DEMOTED FROM BEING A PLANET  

Theres are always a reason for short strikes. The fish are trying to tell you something about your bait isn't right.

Too much noise, not enough.

Color isn't quite right.

Sometimes, it just requires tweaking in small changes. Boat isn't postioned correctly, maybe your casting un-natural shadow out there with the sun at your back

Skirt is too long, too short.

Cadence is too fast, not fast enough.

No two cast should be the same until you have figured the pattern or how they won't you to throw it.

Sometimes its boat postition.

Most times, top water doesn't last long, so making subtle changes is key to get on the bite before its gone.

Hookem

Matt

Ya hit the nail on the head Matt. Short striking it usually means they see something that's almost right as they get up on your lure, but not enough to slam it. But you have at least found the bass. Usually finding the right color will have the bass engulfing the lure. If they are taking the lure deep, ya giving them what they want.

It has nothing to do with Mars ITS BECAUSE PLUTO WAS DEMOTED FROM BEING A PLANET

Planet???

I thought it was a cartoon dog.

Something to try... maybe? Shorten the skirts on the buzz and spinnerbaits or add a fat albert grub or fluke jr instead. This is the only way I throw a buzzbait. The next thing I do is go smaller. If your using 3/8 Buzzbait and getting short strikes throw a 1/4. It is smaller and note quite as loud. Alot of times when fish strike short I go slower. This is totally against my fishing style but it works. Fish blows up on a Buzzbait toss out a small chug bug, crazy shad,pop-r,trick worm or fluke and work it slower. Just some thoughts. Hope this helps.

Yep I was thinking the same thing. Frigen Mars to close to the moon dose it every time. It even throws off the dang cows ;D      

Not sure about the Moon or Mars or the demotion of Pluto (Instead, it will be reclassified in a new category of "dwarf planets," similar to what long have been termed "minor planets." , Wouldn't politcal correctness deem that it be called a little planet rather than a dwarf planet? Hmmm, just museing.) but lately I have noticed that on a body of water where I was using the exact same Buzz Bait, reel, rod, line, retrieve etc. as the previous day on a different body of water where I had great hook up success, and was getting a lot of missed (short) strikes, I would go back to the first lake the in the next day or so and have continued good success. Leads me to believe that some thing in the different envioronments effects the way the fish hit.

Yep I was thinking the same thing. Frigen Mars to close to the moon dose it every time. It even throws off the dang cows ;D      

I just want to see how many quote windows we can get inside of each other ;D

I just want to see how many quote windows we can get inside of each other ;D

Apperanty quite a few. Anuther thing about the moon and mars it has been proven that it makes the bait monkie more active

we were just discussing this at a club meeting...seems like the fish have been alot less "enthusiastic"...alot of missed hits. One of the guys thinks that, at least by us, this has been a better year weather wise than we have had in a few years, actually had normal rainfall and not near as many days of excessive heat as we have had in the past 5 years or so...his theory is that the lakes and rivers are actually healthier this year and thus there is more natural forage available and more for the fish to eat ( I have noticed more bait fish than usual in several lakes and rivers) so they are not as "hungry" or aggressive.

sounds plausible to me...but who knows...I just know I am getting tired of missing good fish!

I'm agreeing with that, here is the theory we've come up with....

My fishing partner and I have noticed here on 2 different lakes on the Chattahochee that we fish, the baitfish are literally EVERYWHERE you look and not getting attacked very often.

The shortbite has been constant.. the ones we do bring it are very fat and usually puking up baitfish when we pick them up or as we are reeling them in.

It seems like every fish we get is getting on hit on the drop so they are only reaction bites.

Why would a bass chase a lure when it is slap full of fresh live shad...

Guest avid

There is some really bizarre stuff showing up on the boards lately, but hey, all I know is what i do in a certain situation.

For short strikes, I trim the skirt on the buzzer or spinnerbait.  Don't use trailer hooks becasue of all the weeds here in Florida but that is an obvious way to go.  I also either slow the retrieve down, or just the opposite speed it up.   I never tried changing color but I can see how that could be a key.

By the way, mark where those short strikes came from and go back later with a worm or jig.