Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Dropshot bite

Anyone else notice the fish just "being there" when dropshotting? I have had this happen to me alot. I jiggle my line in one location. Stop,ever so slightly go to move my bait and suddenly notice...FISH ON....Its wierd not feeling the bite,tap or nothing....its wierd in a good way. Anyone else ever experience that? Just like always...they bite when your not ready and staring off into space.

Yes I have only been  been using the drop shot or  tubes  the past week

the fish have been hitting each pretty well

I have been using the assault salt shaker worm  for  my drop shot

ssw.jpg

and it has worked very well

so does the zoom ultra vibe speed worm wacky rigged????

got me but it does

I went to BPS in Vegas and bought some of those Assalt worms too. My last outing I was using a 4 inch watermelon/purple flake just like the one pictured above and and on 2 consecutive casts I had fish on before I could even feel em bite. Then the rain and lightning came and sent me running for cover. I eventually headed home. Those Assalt worms work pretty good.

The only bass I consistently feel hit a drop shot are in the 1 to 3 pound range. Most bass above 3 pounds just cause the rod to load up. You really have to be on top of it in order to notice.

Sometimes I feel a tap, other times the fish is just there.  Sometimes they just grab it and swim away.

That worm looks good.  I mostly use a Zoom finesse worm or a BPS floating worm.  I have some Zoom centipedes and Super Fluke Jr's I'm going to try tomorrow.

Not trying to derail but a quick question for you drop shot experts:

How deep can you effectively use a drop shot?  I fish a lake in Fl that averages about 6 feet, but in AZ the lakes go down 40-100 feet or so.  

Yeah, generally when I get a bite on a drop shot rig it just feels like I caught some weeds or something.  But when I pull up the line starts going to the side.  I think that its just one of those things that you learn to get in tune the more experienced you get.

Challenged myself this weekend to only use drop shot all 3 days as I've never really showed it much attention.  Wow, what a tool!!  

Have to agree with Capt Cali.  Seemed like the dinks felt like a T-Rig bite and the solid keepers just loaded up the rod.  A 3lbr actually just took off with it.  I didnt even have to set the hook, I went from semi slack line to pulling out drag in a blink before I could even react.

On a side note I learned that even bluegill like to suspend at 20 ft on structure.  There should be a law against that.

B

Ive learnd that dropshots are VERY addicting........I love em

Anyone else notice the fish just "being there" when dropshotting? I have had this happen to me alot. I jiggle my line in one location. Stop,ever so slightly go to move my bait and suddenly notice...FISH ON....Its wierd not feeling the bite,tap or nothing....its wierd in a good way. Anyone else ever experience that? Just like always...they bite when your not ready and staring off into space.

This will never stop happening.  However,When I upgraded my rod to St. Croix AS69MLXF; this was a turning point in my dropshotting............greatly improved.

I'm no dropshotting guru.I've only been using this technique since the winter of ''05.When I catch a bass on this rig,I feel a "tap,tap,tap" just like with a T-rig.I reel in any slack and set the hook.

Guest ouachitabassangler

I started out fishing with a night crawler on a bream or crappie hook, and find drop shot bites are just like that type of live bait fishing. Which is more common, tap-tap or tug? I've voted both ways over the last 3 years. Each bass is just a little different, and size doesn't seem to matter for me. A 5# bass might nail it with a 5# jerk, and a 1# bass might just inhale it and hold still, or vice-versa. Most of the time it does require real concentration to get a hookset on those really light bites. Daydreaming will cost you plenty on those. The tap-tap and Wham bites are of course no-brainers. It's a real good idea to use line easy to watch. I try to watch the water dimple that shows up where the line enters, indicating a bite before felt through the rod. It's sometimes hard to spot the dimple when the line is invisible.

I use the Daiichi Standout fish hooks exclusively. Those really improved hooksetting, most being automatic without my involvement. Keep the point razor sharp! Salty worms tend to dull them. I mostly use red, another bite improver.

Depth? However deep the bass are. However, as with any bait, the deeper it goes, the harder it is to feel a bite. Thats where fluourocarbon line is essential. I use heavier sinkers for deeper, to get it down quickly and keep the line tighter in the case of line bow from any current. It's best not to let it be too tight in current over about 5 mph, as fluorocarbon line can "sing" like a little Siren like line of an upright rod in the air sometimes sings when boating. It's just a faint fine vibration in the line, the last thing I want a bass to find. But a tight line really helps feel those light bites. Setting the sinker on bottom lets the line go slack, and it might be a while before a biting bass reveals itself, getting you a more certain gut hook. Just like with nightcrawlers, I find bottom with the sinker then suspend the rig a little, or a lot if bass are suspended higher. The sonar and the bite dictate height off bottom.

Jim

Yes I have only been been using the drop shot or tubes the past week

I have been using the assault salt shaker worm for my drop shot

ssw.jpg

got me but it does

Dwhite, that's a nice looking bait. It has a similar body taper to one of my faves the Case Plastics Jacks Worm which is definately produces on a drop shot rig. I'll have to order a few of those assaults and check them out.

Yes I have only been been using the drop shot or tubes the past week

I have been using the assault salt shaker worm for my drop shot

ssw.jpg

got me but it does

Dwhite, that's a nice looking bait. It has a similar body taper to one of my faves the Case Plastics Jacks Worm which is definately produces on a drop shot rig. I'll have to order a few of those assaults and check them out.

I have been using that bait for a while also as a senko substitute when they are just sick of looking at a senko and the bite is slow I'll rig that up on a 1/0 or 2/0 weightless and let it slowly fall ,They inhale it with a vengeance

It is also deadly on inlets right after a rain this way or skipped up under a dock or in the pads.

They love them in the river as well floating down the current  T rigged and are very weed less

Just as versatile as the famous stick baits but with a little bit of a different look and action and wiggle to it