Sign in to follow this  
telecaster

A Basses memory

I guess this is a twist on the "do bass know"thread.I've allways been under the assumtion that bass have a very short memory. Well a friend of mine has a "pet bass" they call him Bubba. He hangs around the dock at their camp,and has for the last few years.When you step out on the deck the bass shows up and stares up at you on the deck,my buddy points over to the boat dock and the fish swims under it over to a shallow area with less than a foot of water,where he hand feeds it night crawlers. I didnt believe it myself till I saw it,its the strangest thing :-? Someone caught it fishing around their dock,his wife saw them and talked them into letting it go,they weighed it and its just over 6lbs. Crazy huh..

I've seen pet bass.  

It's not that far fetched for any animal to get used to something.  These fish get used to getting food, and get used to it getting it when that "thing" walks onto the dock.

There's a pond close to me that has bass that will follow you as you walk around the pond.  Waiting for some food to fall in.  They've been fed enough times to associate tall skinny land walking animals with food.  

I even tossed them some little wiggler worms once, and they all but turned their nose up at them.  I came back with some meaty night crawlers and they took a couple of bites.  Not sure what these people are feeding them, but it must be some good stuff!

Call it "Pavlov's Bass".

But, how can tell when it's drooling?

Go figure....

I go fishing in the same spots, throw the same lures the same way and those fish never come to the shallow spots to feed.

I am jealous.

Yeah,I'm sure its just conditioned cuz it gets fed.But its much more fun to think of him as Bubba the friendly bass. He will swim around my buddy and bump into his legs if he's standing in the water. thats a little odd :-? He still has to remember through the winter,this place is in Maine it freezes over,he wont see anyone for months,ya think it would forget.. ;D

I do think that all animals are more intelligent then we percieve them as being. I would call that memory as well as conditioning because there has to be some memory involved(not necessarily brain but cell memory) that allows the fish to come back.