Sign in to follow this  
tmacdaddy055

electrofishing

Today I along with two other students, one professor, and four biologists shocked a section of the Eno River looking for Roanoke bass.  It was the first time that I had ever been electrofishing and boy was it a blast.  Don't get me wrong it was hard work carrying everything up and down the trails, when I got home I jumped right in the bed and took a nap haha.  We got to the river at about 9 and they ran through everything and how the machinces worked and the safety precautions and then we got started.  The stretch we did was at some parts pretty rocky and shallow with tons of hydrilla, and even there we found fish it was awesome.  We ended up collecting 60 roanoke bass which were measured, weighed, tagged, and had scale samples.  We saw so many different kinds of fish like largemouth, bluegill, green sunfish, different kinds of catfish, chub, crawdads, fathead minnows, and probably some more that i can't remember.  But anyways, the point of my story is that if any of you young guys out there are wondering what to do with your life(like me) and what you want to be when you grow up and are interested in fish, fishing, aquatic life or anything like that fisheries is deffinately a program you should look into.  Im only 18 and a 1st year college student, but from what I can tell it is going to be a great field to work in and I have really enjoyed my experiences so far and im sure anyone that gets into it will too

I witnessed the Va Game Dept shocking Smith Mtn Lake a few years back.It was neat seeing all the fish that float up.You really dont know how many fish there are in an area until you see the water shocking in person.I was really surprised and started fishing alot slower after that.They would go into a cut off the main lake and shock it and the fish just floated up.......bluegills everywhere,huge carp,cats,lm bass,sm bass,you name it.Very interesting.

i was fishing at lake orange on one side of a bush when the electro guys came through. i hear a big commotion on the boat and they had shocked up a 9 lber (huge for this lake) rght on the other side of the flooded bush.  i followed them around a little wwhile (since the fishing was pretty shot anyhow), and it was pretty amazing.

matt