Sign in to follow this  
Matt Fly

Wash. SM state record????cheating??

Came across this today, but in Kansas City Star, was wondering if any guys from Washington have heard any thing about this.

Matt.

Weird News: Fish story quickly turns fishy

The Associated Press

More Weird News

More Coffee Break

KENNEWICK, Wash. Austin Kenyon insisted his smallmouth bass was one for the state record books. The state, however, wasn't hooked.

In fact, it ruled that the bass was packed with lead weights.

Two of Kenyon's friends signed statements saying the fish had been tampered with when it was weighed on a state-certified scale.

Our determination is that the fish had been stuffed with lead weights at the time it was inspected, said Keith Underwood of the state Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Kenyon, 22, of Kennewick, claimed the fish he caught Labor Day weekend was legitimate. He said it weighed 9.32 pounds on a state-certified scale.

Ray Wonacott of Ellensburg holds the record with an 8.75-pound smallmouth bass caught in 1966.

About a half-dozen state officials were involved in a monthlong investigation into Kenyon's bass.

The fish was caught Sept. 2, weighed Sept. 5 and inspected by state officials Sept. 6. By the time the state wanted a closer look, Kenyon had already taken it to be mounted.

State officials and anglers began questioning the would-be record, saying common formulas used to calculate fish weight didn't support Kenyon's claim.

The fish measured 22" X 17" = 6.65 - 7.95 lbs according to this article:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003281435_webrecordfishy29.html?syndication=rss

The BassResource.com calculator comes up with 6.856. I have caught numerous 22" smallmouth that did not make 6 lbs, 5 and change is much more likely. Our (BR) formula is biased toward largemouth bass that tend to weigh more for a given length. For example, the NY DNR table estimates a 22" fish like this: smallmouth 5.3 lbs; largemouth 6.6 lbs.

You gotta laugh that two of his friends said he tampered with it, and he STILL claims that he did nothing....

Just stupid. Grow up, own up to the fact that you are a cheater, and move on...

I'm sure there are a few out there. Back in the day a mans word was truth and we all know some fisherman tend to stretch the truth a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit  ;)

Guest avid

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

If you catch what you think is a record fish.  Kill it instantly, put it on ice.  Get it certified, get a replica mount.  The put some "secret" marking s on it.  Photgraph it with the markings, and keep it the freezer for at least 10 years.  

This whole record nonesense has gotten completely out of hand.

There is less aggravation to winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

Guest avid
Has anyone ever wondered if there are a few cheated records out there?

there is no dobut in my mind.  time was that the record fish (whatever the species) was no big deal, just braggin rights.  Remember George Perry, couldn't even get Creek Chub to give him some free lures.  It wasn't untill many years later when he started to give interviews and became a bit of a celebrity.  Nothing he could seen at the time.

P.S. And his record is HOTLY disputed.  

Remember the hube Great white shark caught off Long Island that is the largest fish ever landed by rod and reel?   There were many who swore that the whale the shark was feeding on was shot and killed.

In their mind the captain and the angeler who were buddies, were a little too lucky at finding dead whales all the time.  Berkley ran a big campaign featuring them, so they made plenty $$$$$

And the beat goes on

Has anyone ever wondered if there are a few cheated records out there?

The Illinois record LM bass is 13lb, 1oz caught in Lake County, which is just south of Wisconsin. That's almost 2 pounds bigger than the Wisconsin record.

It's amazing that the record did NOT come from southern Illinois where fishing pressure is less, and the growing season is considerably longer.

It's also a strange coincidence that the gentleman who caught the bass had just returned from a Florida fishing trip.

Is this record for real? I don't know.

It's sad story, but nevertheless, this must be some form of human nature. As mentioned in a previous reply, there is a tendency among many anglers to stretch the size of their catch a lot, sometimes due to ignorance of the actual weights, more often just to inflate their egos.

Here in Cyprus bass fishing is growing rapidly in popularity, and over the last couple of years we have heard stories of bass that would have been candidates for WR! Of course all these bass have gotten away etc... Then you meet anglers bragging that they caught 5 Kg (11lb) bass and when they see you catching a 4lber they start drooling about that great fish, which is less than half of what they claim they caught. In a particular tackle store I was told of a great winter day with a string of more than a dozen 4-kilo bass being caught (on livebait), and they proudly showed me a photo of them. Well, none of those fish would exceed 1.5Kg, let alone 4Kg! Yet they insisted that those fish weighted more than 4Kg!

We will have to live and accept that these people will always be around. Perhaps the best way to deal with them is to ignore them, prove them wrong if necessary, and, if the stakes are high (as was the case with the WA state record SM) move on and tell the honest truth as the guys in the story did.

Needless to say, there is always the other side of the coin - certain people would do anything to downgrade someone's special catch, usually because they are envious they didn't catch the fish. Very recently a buddy caught his P.B. (6lb) on 8lb mono in an area full of brush. He played it very expertly and landed it without a problem. Yet, people who know him and are supposed to be friends of him insisted that it was only due to sheer luck as this particular angler was, in their words, "incapable" of catching such a fish. I was there and I must admit I admired him for his technique in fighting that fish - not a touch of luck there. I can imagine that in cases like records etc there would be people who would say that the record-catcher was a cheater due to their own reasons. I believe Bassmaster had a few months ago the story of what happenned with the WR smallmouth.

Too bad that these things occur, but then, we don't live in a perfect world...

See my post about the new World Record Elk, in Everything Else category, from this weekend.  

Talk about being taken... .I sure was...

Dear fellow fishermen,

I actually have "THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY" and for $10 and a proof of purchase from a zebco 202 snoopy reel, I will send you a genuine picture of the AUTHENTIC "ONE THAT GOT AWAY"! If you call to order in the next 10 minutes I will include at no additional cost , the SECRET, MAGIC, AWESOME lure that caught "THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY". Don't miss this, once in a lifetime, never to be repeated, I can't believe I got this great deal OFFER. Just make you checks payable to ME! It's the world record "ONE THAT GOT AWAY". ;)

Ronnie

Dear fellow fishermen,

I actually have "THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY" and for $10 and a proof of purchase from a zebco 202 snoopy reel, I will send you a genuine picture of the AUTHENTIC "ONE THAT GOT AWAY"! If you call to order in the next 10 minutes I will include at no additional cost , the SECRET, MAGIC, AWESOME lure that caught "THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY". Don't miss this, once in a lifetime, never to be repeated, I can't believe I got this great deal OFFER. Just make you checks payable to ME! It's the world record "ONE THAT GOT AWAY". ;)

Ronnie

You take PayPal?  :-?      ;D