Sign in to follow this  
lee ellis

what's ur method to get spawning bass to bite?

just wondering if there is any new tricks anyone came across last spawning season that helped them catch those stubborn bedders. personally i found out if u take a texas rigged worm, plug the weight with a toothpick and cast into the bed then try to hit the bass in the head with the weight he gets aggrivated enough to eat it.

Most of the time when a male is guarding the nest, anything you put in that nest will be picked up, and moved to the outside of the bed.  You just have to set the hook when the male is moving your bait.  Alot of anglers do not fish for bedding bass, because apparently sometimes when you pull a bass off the nest, sometimes it doesn't return to the nest.  That inturn leaves the eggs in the nest vulnerable to predation.  Not the most ethical time to fish IMO, but hey if it works, it works.  I try not to target spawning bass, but at Fork that may be neccassary.

I do a little Happy Gilmore ...Here fishy fishy just a little tap tap look at that little tasty snack. It goes from gentle coaxing to full on "Why don't you get on your hook! What your to good for your hook!" ;D

Electro-shock the fish, pull the female out, stick the lure in its mouth firmly, then release, and once the fish comes to, let her fight!

Seriously though, I found that sticking a lure on the nest and luring the male away will give you some time alone to fish for the female. I did this effectively with a curly tailed grub and soft plastics.

Caught a male 4 times off the same bed...he kept hitting before the momma sow had a chance. He was a keeper so i threw him in the livewell and gave the bed a moment or two to settle down. When I came back the big female was hanging closer to the bed and without the male there to give me fits, I eventually coaxed her into hitting a swim bait. Afterwards, turned the male loose and he went right back to his perch guarding the eggs. I have had to throw everything but the kitchen sink at bedders to get a response, and Ive had em hit on the first try, you just never know. I ussually start out with a senko/tiki stick type of bait, then go to t-riged craw/hula grub stuff or jig-n-trailer. If those dont work, ill let a horny toad sink down on the bed. Ive also used swim baits/ drop shots/ and small floating cranks weighted with a 3-5 oz lead dropped right by the bed. This way, you can make the crank dive down to the bed like its trying to eat the eggs, then float back up like its backing away from the bass, then repeat. As for the ethics involved, I say catch the females and leave the males to guard. The females dont have much input after they lay the eggs anyway, and you generally dont deep hook fish during the spawn.

I hold a stick of dynamite up high, so they are sure to see it.... then proclaim any fish that does not cooperate and bite my lure, will be swimming in the big pond in the sky,,, cause I am gonna blow them clear to heaven   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I hold a stick of dynamite up high, so they are sure to see it.... then proclaim any fish that does not cooperate and bite my lure, will be swimming in the big pond in the sky,,, cause I am gonna blow them clear to heaven ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

How long do you wait?   ;D ;D

B

I put lipstick on my Rapalas

WOW!! Muddy... you're precious!! That's just too funny! LMAO

Seriously though.. I have a Jig with a white skirt, purple head, and a pink trailer. I've always called it my "lip stick jig" Guess what... It works in early spring and late fall! :-?

I hold a stick of dynamite up high, so they are sure to see it.... then proclaim any fish that does not cooperate and bite my lure, will be swimming in the big pond in the sky,,, cause I am gonna blow them clear to heaven   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

How long do you wait?   ;D ;D

B

The fish usually give in and I put the dynamite away...  or the fish and game guys show up......... ::) ::) :-?

If you know what you are doing you can catch the male using a rock with a hook on it. There is realy no challenge. Now the female is a diferent story. Ther is no 1 technique. Each fish is diferent. you must learn to "read" the fish. My only two baits for females are jigs and my bluegills. I always start with the gill on big fish and my tecniques vary. Some fish will go on an aggresive presentation and some will spook with it. You just have to figure each fish out. One other thing, i often hear guys say that a certain bed fish was not catchable so they moved on. Well if it lets you fish for it its catchable. If it spooks when you get within casting range its still catchable you just have to find a better way to set up on it. The big question is, is it worth your time. I will not spend any more then 10 minutes on a fish unless its BIG, or I have covered a particular lake and now I am going back to the best fish I previously seen. Catching males is fun and can be good practice if there are no females up. But dont go into it thinking there is one bait. Throw everthing you got at it and watch his behavior. You will see that some baits get more responce than others and some will spook. I apologize for this tip sounding like a comercial but the easyest way I have found to catch a tough male is to throw a bluegill swimbait in the bed for a few minutes and get the poor male all fired up then thow something small that sinks fast witha good expossed hook and he will usualy take it the first shot. The females you guys will just have to figure out on your own.  :)

I've only had a shot at one solid DD bed fish, but the ONLY thing I could get her to eat was Matt's Male Bluegill. She ate it twice, but I missed her the first time, and dumped her at my feet the second time. I must have run 20 baits past her over 6 or 8 hours in two days, that was the only bait I could get her to light up.

I hold a stick of dynamite up high, so they are sure to see it.... then proclaim any fish that does not cooperate and bite my lure, will be swimming in the big pond in the sky,,, cause I am gonna blow them clear to heaven ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Don't know if you guys have seen this but.... Quite funny that they only get 1 fish doing this  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzroIquVy0Y

I use a slightly different tactic... I use a flash grenade and tell them to get their a**es in the boat.

This way I don't have to expend the effort to cast.  ;D

Vorlin

With everyone throwing Senkos I found throwing a Texas rigged Zoom Trick worm with a nail in the tail falls the same but slower. I also throw a Texas Rigged Jig instead of a normal jig.

Bluegills are notorious for raiding the nests!  Mattslures does make a good bluegill

swimbait. I sure hope Matt has his new version of his bluegill and tilapia by the end

of the year! Another notorious nest raider is the bullhead minnow. Maybe Matt will make

a bullhead minnow swimbait as well! IMO, bedfishing is ethical if the fish are released

in the same area soon after being caught!

I have caught spawning bass on:

tube

culprit worm

plastic crawfish

rattletrap

jerkbait

soft jerkbait

horny toad

sweetbeaver

dropshot

senko

spinnerbait

lizard

topwater spook

pop R

trick worm

buzzbait

swim bait

crankbait

jig

wacky rig

That is a long list huh :o what is important is the mood of the fish. If the fish is active they will blast a topwater lure in a second. If the water is muddy they will nail a spinnerbait, crankbait, rattletrap, buzzbait. If the water is clear or if the fish is spooky then you need to dig deep in your box and try all kinds of plastics. Sometimes on spooky fish you don't want to see the bed. I stay a good distance away and just shake the lure in the bed. You want to draw attention to your lure with rattles and shaking it. Sometimes you can make the fish react to a lure like with a jerkbait.

You don't Texas Rig a jig, it's a type of jig   8-)

It's one of the best kept secrets out there  ;)