Sign in to follow this  
haysokla1

Bigger Bass

Got a very small problem guys. I need to consistanly catch bigger bass! I do well in most of the tournaments I enter, but I fail to catch the bigger bass. I almost always fill my live wells with limits, but have a hard time getting that one or two kickers you need to win. There are some people who consistantly catch the 5-6 pounders. HOW DO THEY DO IT? Am I just unlucky or is there a technique I have't learned yet? Help please. e-mail me if you can't get it all in on this site

thanks Deuceu, I have been doing that, well like yesterday fishing deep structure 20-25 ft deep and all I could muster was a 3 punder. and I know there are bigger fish in that lake. (eufaula, OK.) I'm told alot of big smallies that I fail to catch.

Welcome aboard!

I second Deuceu72, get away from the bank and fish deeper structure. You might have to fish slower, too.

Soft plastics and jigs are my suggestions for the lures to be used.

I had a friend that I fished with during the summer.  We fished every tuesday evening.  We finally go tot where we could fill the live well everytime, but we had another buddy who would do that plus the fish all weighed 6 7 or 8 pounds even.  if we caught 10 pounds of fish he caught twice or three times as much.  We eneded up following him around and he showed some spots and said get your notepad out!  We fished with him side by side in his boat and he consistantly caught bigger fish, quicker.  It drove me crazy.  To answer your question though I think it has to do with technique and  ability to get on the fish.  4 feet to the left and you missed the big one.  But, that fishin.  Just keep your line wet.

Texas Rig and Jig-n-Craw fished in the locations mentioned above  8-)

My kickers usually come on large cranks like a Norman DD22, a 3/4 jig fished along the bottom, slow rolling a heavy spinnerbait.

Not surprised to hear you have trouble catching better fish in eufaula, I get my A## pretty much handed to me in the big fish dept on that lake everytime. I have heard...not seen but heard, weightless senkos around the dam pockets for smallies as well as drop shots. I know ther are alot of blue flec and june bug users as far as some of the guys who win the triton and skeeter money up there. I hear DD22's and weightless senkos in the standing timber in front of bell star holds good smallies, as well as largemouth. The only place I have ever actually caught good fish consistently on eufaula is around bell star boat docks on plum and blue flec p-worms. Some guys fishing post spawn stuff this year won on 10" blue flec c-rigged and t-rigged, they weighed in all 3+ LMB. Eufaula is tricky, it seems like there is alot of "dead" water in that lake compared to the other okie lakes I fish. I hear the rip-rap up by fountainhead at the 150 bridge holds good lmb relating to the channel, but those fish have never showed up for me. Also from hwy9 bridge longtown area south is supposed to be good for big largemouth, but Ive only seen a few come from this area. Bottum line, eufaula is a brushpile lake for LMB in a big way. The spots and smallies seem to be much more transient in eufaula than in other lakes. If you do the research you will find that grand and texoma have consistantly higher weights for the same phases in tourney results. I take this to mean that eufaula is just TOUGH unless you get on the RIGHT fish...I really never have. I have also heard alot of buzz about terminator spinner baits on eufaula, but I take this info w/ a grain of salt cause the guys reporting good catches on terminator spinnerbaits are...you guessed it...sponsered by terminator spinnerbaits. GOOD LUCK