Sign in to follow this  
mudcatwilly

I need a slump buster

I've been really serious about bass fishing for a little over a year now.  Last spring, I really started gaining confidence because I really started catching fish and found a comfort zone.  The last 4 or 5 times I've been out, I caught one fish.  The last 3 times, I've been totally skunked.  I read all kinds of articles, study maps, read fishing reports and throw the baits that the guys are catching 'em on in the places they say that the fish are being caught.  Not even a bite.  What the heck is going on?  I'll never make the classic this way ;)  What do you guys do when you find yourself in a slump?

ALOT OF GUYS ON THIS SITE FIND FAULT WITH THIS, BUT WHEN I GO INTO A BAD SLUMP I SWITCH TO LIVE BAIT.

YOU'RE FISHING IN A TOUGH TIME OF YEAR RIGHT NOW. MAYBE THAT'S ALL IT IS.

GOOD LUCK,

FALCON

First do you think the slump is due to what you're doing or what the bass aint doing?

Second we need more info from you

Unknown what type of water are you fishing? Pond, river, Lake ECT

Unknown bank or boat?

It happens to everyone.  Each year that goes by though, your slumps will become less pronounced, because you will rely on what you have learned from the previous slumps.  My antidote has always been..SLOW DOWN when the bite is slow.  Soft plastic bite off?  Dead stick it for 2 or three minutes before raising it.  Use a suspending jerk bait instead of a crank, and finesse fish it like a plastic..letting it suspend for extended periods before sweeps.  My disclaimer is this is what works for me in my waters.  Other guys will have other methods.  Good Luck!  Keep in mind that everyone gets skunked.

I have found talking to other fisherman on that body of water to be helpful.  I got skunked my last several outings of shore fishing.  I talked to other guys that were bank beating as well and they were coming up with nothing.  A guy I saw trolling got nada.  I live in the north and the fish bites are slowing.  I figure, it may not be me but the fish.  They may be in shut down mode.  

Actually, my most recent story was after fishing for several hours and trying everything, I was about to throw the towel in.  I didn't see anyone catch anything that day either.  Just when I was about to call it quits, I thought I got a snag.  Perfect, I thought, what a way to cap the day.  But then it struck me, I had a worm rigged weedless.  The next thing I saw was the underside of a 20+ inch bass.  Minutes later, my line snapped.   >:(

I blame myself for that loss.  I had mentally checked out for the day.  So, while the fish may be slowing down, just be prepared for when that big one does hit.

Lard_Bass,

This is a little off topic, but I like to make this point whenever it shows up:

Your line should NEVER break, especially in relatively open water. Check your drag before you fish and occasionally while your are fishing. Check your line constantly. We have far too many posts where guys are being broken off. Although I prefer light line, maybe your's should be heavier or just stronger. There are very few reasons that anyone should get broken off and if it is just about the fish, that should never happen.

Guest avid

Avids famous slump defeating system.

1.   Fish familiar water

2.   Slow down

3.   Down size.

4.   Fish shallow

5.   slow down

6.   Use various sizes, colors, of finesse worms or senkos

7.   Slow down

8.   When all else fails put on a ratletrap.

Your welcome  

MudCatWilly,

Sir, in regards to your question on what you can do to break your slump, I would like to inquire as to your knowledge of the FLP formula. Nearly all of the older and more experienced anglers can inform you about the Flp formula. I would like to say that sinve I started using it I have seen my catch rate improve dramatically! I am firm in the beleif that all begining fishermen should have a firm understanding of the FLP formula because no matter how many lure you have, or how many techniques you may be familiar with, all of it is hit and mis until you apply the FLP formula to it. Within the past two years it has become so second nature to me that I do not any longer have to break dow the fishing situations I am faced with to find the best solution. If you don't mind I'll break it down and try to explain the way that the FLP formula is broken down.

It goes like this: F+L+P= Success!

F- stands for the Fish,

L- stands for the Location,

P- stands for the Presentation!

What this does is it allows you to take what you know about the fish and its enviroment and then how to best fit your presentation to the factors forementioned.

Try to break it down like you would the Pythagerian formula.

But try it like this;

F- what do you know about the bass? What are the basic behavioral paterns of the fish? Every bass, no matter where on earth it is will handle situations in a certain way. That's instincts for you.

L- What do you know about the location you are fishing? Waht is the depth? Vegetation, structure, and water clarity? Also look at the past week and see what the weather patens have been, examine the barometric pressure and the moon phase.

P- Now match a presentation that will best fit the location and mood of that fish.

The best tool you have at your disposal for catching fish is between your ears!

So if you would do just that tell us about the location and the weather trend for the past week and then we can give you are really good answer to how to break you out of Your SLUMP!

Peter

ALOT OF GUYS ON THIS SITE FIND FAULT WITH THIS, BUT WHEN I GO INTO A BAD SLUMP I SWITCH TO LIVE BAIT.

YOU'RE FISHING IN A TOUGH TIME OF YEAR RIGHT NOW. MAYBE THAT'S ALL IT IS.

GOOD LUCK,

FALCON

live bait is an extremely good idea. This past weekend at gaston, we tried alot and didnt get too many bites. My little brother (12 years old) had a humungous fish on a red spinner bait. It was so big that it went behind the boat and turned the fishing chair along with him. My dad got it up to the boat but when tryin to net him it got caught on edge of boat and dove down and threw the spinnerbait. My dad guessed it to be about 5 or 6 pounds. That was the only luck on lures, later my other brother and I went out and fished a hump with bream, and 15 or 20 minutes into it I caught a nice 3 lb bass. 5 minutes later I had another bream on and lost another fish that had it.

First and foremost, don't worry about catching a fish, just make sure you go out and enjoy the day.  Any time I get myself into a slump I analyze way too much about what I'm doing wrong.  Today in fact was the first time I haven't been skunked in 2 weeks.  I slowed down, and went back to my basics.  And lo and behold catch 5 decent sized perch.  

Avids famous slump defeating system.

1. Fish familiar water

2. Slow down

3. Down size.

4. Fish shallow

5. slow down

6. Use various sizes, colors, of finesse worms or senkos

7. Slow down

8. When all else fails put on a ratletrap.

Your welcome

Wow. I could not agree with this dude more!

Guest the_muddy_man

First thing to do if your in a slump is get her drunk first  OH OH I MISUNDERSTOOD THE QUESTION AGAIN

Roadwarrior,

Thanks for the heads up. I did think about the drag being set too high. I was fishing with a new reel which I couldn't figure if it had too much line or the drag was too light. It wasn't spooling properly and, in the end, I realized that there was probably too much line on my new reel. Newbie question though, where do you set the drag. I usually set it to where I can pull some line out with a little force.

Mud,

"just make sure you go out and enjoy the day" ... Amen. I'll take a day of sun and fishing than sitting behind a desk.

Avid,

Great advice. As my dad always told me, " slow down and be patient...." I also just added Bill Lewis Rat-L-Traps to my tacklebox. It says to retrieve the lures fast, should I slow down the retrieve on these as well?

Thanks everyone for getting me more hooked on fishing!

Lard_Bass,

This was running a week or so ago, I think this will help answer most of your questions:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1161176446

Back on topic:

Avid's advice is solid. I hope your slump ends soon.