Sign in to follow this  
bass109

family fishing

the second time I took my son (now age 15) out fishing (he was about 5 at the time), on my second cast, my Zebco 33 fell all apart and my fishing was done for the day.  Spent the rest of the day showing him how to cast, bait the hook, take the fish off, etc.  Turnded out to be one of the best days we ever had on the water.

He's 7,  Ive had Him on the water all the time since he was about 3. he loves every minute of it and Its a way I can connect with him. Hope it stays that way. i know you guys have seen these pics before, but a proud dad cant bragg enough!!

post-6229-130163005719_thumb.jpg

I don't have kids yet but can't wait to take them fishing when I do. Some of my best memories as a child are of fishing with my family. It's really good wholesome fun for kids and a great way for kids to bond with their parents. There's a good write up in one of the recent mags about always having fishing to go back to after fishing as a kid. I hadn't fished for 15 yrs until this summer. It's been a great summer, my wife and I have had some great times fishing this summer. I might not be writing this right now had my family not taken me fishing as a kid.

Guest avid

Great stories and pix guys.

FinSr.  your boy wth the big cat. Looks like the fish could use HIM for bait.  ;D

Really cute stuff.

Ilearned a long time ago that for ME, the only way I can take a kid fishing is to NOT fish myself.  At least not at first.

I Take my kids often,they love it.And I love teaching them to fish,and also how to respect nature and the great outdoors.MY daughter 9yrs old loves to bass fish she caught her fist bass on a ruber worm this summer.I was so proud,got a tear in my eye.

my son is 4 and we have been fishing together since he was 2.  he usually fishes with wacky rigged senkos on circle hooks and does quite well.  i wish he would use live bait more but he wants to do everything like me so he want to use artificials.  some of our best moments are on the water and the look he gets when hes fighting a fish is absolutely priceless.

matt

Hunting and fishing are pastimes that dont take into consideration age or personal differences. The only way i could spend time w/ my dad as a teenager without us trying to kill one another was when fishing or hunting. When I think of my late grandfather the memories are all centered around his taking me fishing or hunting, and in his later years, my taking him. I have recently purchased my son a .223 for deer hunting this year, and along with the rod and reel set ups Ive acquried for him these are all tools with which to build and strengthen our relationship (try selling that line to the old lady when dropping a ben franklin for a reel-haha). I have made sure to cultivate my son's adiction to outdoor sports very methodically so as to keep him interested and always wanting more. I have become a much more adept angler and hunter in attempting to orchestrate situations where as he will have the best possible oppurtunity to realize success. As we spend more time together in the feild or on the water, he has taught me a thing or two about catching fish and luring a deer or duck in for an easy shot. When all the distractions of life are quieted, and you begin to focus on those truly important things in this life you will find it all comes back to the people close to you. No other activity can bring you closer to your people than the time you share with them attempting to best mother nature. My office walls are covered with the times my son and I have succeded in that quest, and there will be many more as long as the lord sees fit to enable me to do so.

And to AVID...as for the not fishing when with the kids, Ill just say this: Rarely do I ever actually reel in a fish that i hook. Once it is hung, it's all Jr.