Sign in to follow this  
BASS fisherman

"Better Bass Fishing the Dave Romeo way"

The man caught 3001 bass in 77 days which is a world record.

I am thinking about getting his book, but only if others have read it and can give me a review for it.

I have to special order it since it is no longer in print, but I figure if the guy can catch that many bass in only 77 days, he could teach me alot.

How is the book?

Guest avid

I lived in about 15 minutes from Kahlers pond where David Romeo established this record. There is actually a plaque there (much vandalized)

Kahlers pond is an 11 acre pond just off Montauk hwy in Moriches Long Island. At the time is overpopulated with stunted bass.

He caught virtually all of his bass using nightcrawlers and most were not of legal size.

I used to go there with a fly rod and catch a dozen or more dwarfs an hour.

Then a few years later (late 80's I think) there was a mysterious fish kill, not uncommon for small ponds in Suffolk county due to fertilizer and in the case of kahlers pond it was downstream from a duck farm (Long Island duckling anyone?)

I haven't been there in years so have no idea of it's current condition but it was a fun place to fish if numbers were your pleasure.

I done went and got it anyway.  I should've waited, but I like any book about fishing that I can get my hands on.  It only cost me $6.45 with shipping, so it isn't like I spent a bunch for it.  

Avid, thanks for the history lesson.  The fact that he caught all those bass out of an 11 acre pond is pretty cool.

sounds like a dink-a-thon.  I gave up the bank beating and the high numbers for a chance to get the bigger fish.  I guess if you're going for a record....

Still, a good read is a good read and only $7

I'm with Avid on this one I saw the stats on his "World Record Catch". Less than 2% of those fish were over 12 inches. It really is no big deal and in his infamy, a short is called a Romeo on Long Island and through the tournament circles there. There are ponds out there where that record could be broken in a couple of weeks with legal fish but what is the significance of doing that? I don't think he has become a household name in a positive way to bass anglers.

I've guided a few clients to 250-300 fish days on one in particular and 75% were keepers. I think it coulds be broken easily if someone really wanted to.

Where would you find records like that to be kept?   Is that a Guiness record or what?     How would you cerify a record like that?   Would you have to video each one, or have a witness (es)?

Matt

Guest avid
Where would you find records like that to be kept? Is that a Guiness record or what? How would you cerify a record like that? Would you have to video each one, or have a witness (es)?

Matt

Well young jedi, I see you have a valuable lesson about "records"

Guinnes book of world records is less fact and more fiction than most people realize.

Case in point is the David Romeo "world record".  No one knows exactly how many bass he caught, probably not even he himself.   When he applied for the record the Guinness people asked him to supply his documentation and some testimonials, and that was it.  As far as I know no one from Guinnes ever went to the pond except when the county decided to erect the plaque.

There is no doubt that he fished the lake for hours and hours at a time during this period, I saw him there.  Knowing the lake at that time it is totally possible that he caught 3001 bass in 77 days.  

The point I"m making is that he was awarded the distinction from the Guinness book of world records almost entirely on his say so.

Guest avid

It's strange, and I don't quite understand it myself, but in an odd sort of way I kinda admire the guy.

Look at it from his point of view.  He wanted to attain the very difficult status of bass fishing authority.  The most typical and legitimate route is to enter tournaments and get a name for yourself by garnering a few notable wins.

The problem with this approach, is that it is very expensive, time consuming and required alot days on the road.

David, I believe wanted to be a outdoor writer more than a pro so he came up with a very clever entrepreneurial method to achieve his goal.

It worked.

Now as earthworm has stated the name David Romeo is not a household name like KVD for example.  But he wrote a book, and a number of articles and as far as I know continues to make his living doing what he wanted to do.

It comes as no surprise to me that the guides and struggling pros on Long Island deride him.  Here they are toughing it out the difficult, legitimate, way, while this snotty no nothing jumps to the head of pack by virtue of a gimmick.

But, this is America folks.

Is Pamela Anderson a household name because of her great acting ability or because of silicone?

Acting ability!  :o

I asked that because I have never thought of a record of such to be in existence.

Just surprising.      With all honesty, I'm sure my dad has or would be very close to that number.    

I witnessed my dad on the Devils River growing up catching 100+ bass days on the River every summer in the late 60's.   My dad was throwing nothing more than a white shyster.

My sister, using a crappie rig, two minnows, fishing the same river, has caught over a 150 bass without moving in a day on numerous occassions.

My dad was football coach and High School principal, so he always had the majority of the summer off.         I know he always judged a good day with 100 bass and a great day when he hit 150.      The Devils river runs into Amistad near Del Rio Tx.    

Thanks for info, I'm a southern guy who has never heard of this guy until the post.    Maybe a trivia question some day, you never know.

Matt.