Sign in to follow this  
rumbal

How to catch...?

Sometimes I see, how some big basses float on the top of the water, but don't react to any baits. Is it possible to catch such fish and how can I do it?

Thanks to all ! Sorry for my English.

Floating on top of the water?

If you mean on it's side, I doubt that fish is in any mood to eat anything. It's more than likely reflecting on days gone by and preparing itself to go to the big fish pond in the sky.

Guest avid

I gotta agree with cart on this one.

If it's floating on top of the water the only way to catch it is to use the "Lake Dixon monster method."

oooooooooooooooopppppps. sorry all you Cali guys, but I couldn't resist.

Anyway, a bass floating on top of the water is dead, or nearly so.  It ain't biting nothing.  

So put on a white tube, snag it, weigh it on a non certified scale, take photo's and make all the claims you want.

dam.........I did it agin.   ;)

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard. I agree with others that fish is dying or is DEAD. I don't even bother with those. Let it die in peace.

Chow

Is it possible he means a cruising or suspended bass? I have often seen bass in shallow water almost appear as if they were "sunning" themselves just hanging on the surface a few inches under.

I'm kind of guessing that's what he may mean rather than a bass doing the death float.

Is it possible he means a cruising or suspended bass? I have often seen bass in shallow water almost appear as if they were "sunning" themselves just hanging on the surface a few inches under.

I'm kind of guessing that's what he may mean rather than a bass doing the death float.

He did say float on top of the water not just a few inches under the suface any fish I have ever seen floating were either dead or dying. But maybe he did mean near the surface then that would change the equation.

Chow

Welcome to the best bass fishing site on the net.

How is the bass fishing in Russia?

Falcon

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you meant it was suspending at the surface , try a popper.

Rumbal, if you mean the bass is just beneath the surface, like an inch or two under and it's alive, I would toss a weightless senko past the fish and then real it in right next to it and let it sink. The slow fall of a senko wiggling enticingly might just be enough to draw a strike.

I have tried a weightless senko, a popper, a spinnerbait, but bass always swam away.

The bass isn't present In Russia, there'is very cold. Sometimes anglers from Russia go to other countries, for example Cyprus, Croatia, Spain ( the USA is very far :'().

I am glad to be present at the best bass fishing site on the net.

Thanks to all !

assuming you are talking about cruising bass near the surface if they are quickly swimming away they are prob. spooked.  i would try to make longer casts from farther away with a weightless senko. this should get the bass to turn on it at least some of the time.

matt

Swimming a small 3 in grub does the trick often in these cases...............

and Avid, I thought it was a white jig, not a tube........... ;D

hmm if the bass is floating on top of the water i would suggest a net , it always worked for me , but if your meaning about  a foot or so under water try a spinnerbait , buzzbait , or usually any top water rapala or popper.

If it's floating on top of the water the only way to catch it is to use the "Lake Dixon monster method."

Anyway, a bass floating on top of the water is dead, or nearly so.  It ain't biting nothing.  

So put on a white tube, snag it, weigh it on a non certified scale, take photo's and make all the claims you want.

dam.........I did it agin.   Wink

I know it is off topic but just so everyone knows, those guys in Dixon are a joke and in no which way, shape, or form do they represent Socal guys and gals.

dam.........I did it agin.   ;)

It was a white JIG, unintentionally snagged, weighed on a reliable scale, and no claims for the record were made.

Man you southerners are bitter! ;) ;D :P we've got the largemouth, and the spots all sewn up, just imagine what would happen when we get some monster smallies! :D

Joking, only joking!

Guest Texas_Bass_Pro

I would use either a topwater bait or a spinner bait which should be retrieved just beneath the surface.

By the way,  welcome to the forum.

Hmmmm....if these are suspending fish, they are tough to catch. Slightly subsurface lures could be the ticket here. For crankbaits I would recommend a Manns 1-. I would try a variety of different retrieves with it such as burning the bait, jerking it, starting and stopping, jumping it out of the water slightly (looks like a fleeing baitfish), or a zig zagging style retrieve.

Another good way is using a good suspending jerkbait that runs shallow, close to the depth the fish is suspending at, get it within his view and just deadstick the sucker.