Sign in to follow this  
Bass_Cash

NIGHT FISHING

I'VE GOT A NIGHT TOURNAMENT HERE IN FLORIDA IN AUGUST. I WAS JUST CURIOUS AS TO HOW OTHERS WOULD APPROACH IT.  6PM-2AM.  ANY STRATEGIES OR SPECIFIC BAITS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.  HERE'S A LIST OF A COUPLE I DEFINATELY WILL BE THROWING.

BUZZBAIT  (BLACK OR WHITE)

DARK COLORED PLASTICS

DARK JIGS

SPINNERBAIT  (SINGLE COLORODO BLADED, BLACK)

I am no Fla. fisherman by far, and fish for smallies 98% of the time but, I think a real generic answer for night fishing is to slow down, way down. Seems your choices are good though. JMO :)

The eyes of a bass go through a night adaptation cycle beginning at twilight and are usually adapted for black, white, and all shades of gray within an hour after darkness. Bass can see color but not at night, color it's self is meaningless at night. Bass cannot see details at night, so don't waste time with meticulously painted or patterned lures. Contrast is more important by far than color at night. If you fish water where shad or minnows are the predominate prey species, then try white spinners with a white grub. The usual night time favorite black is the second choice in shad populated lakes. Black or dark hued lures give maximum contrast at night when run on or near the surface. Under water vision for the bass is reduced at night, so use lures that are a little larger. Slow retrieves work better because it lets the bass locate the lure easier and zero in on it.

Fish the same baits, same locations, and same techniques you would during the day.  ;)

I have had great luck throwing a watermelon swim senko at night. Yamamoto's watermelon is really dark.

GC Pond Man

We fished a night tournament last weekend we caught fish on 1/2oz black spinner baits with a colorado blade as big as we could find.  I also used a Zoom black viberating chunk as a trailer.  We caught some fish including a 3 1/2# not terrible for IN.  The fish came out of 3-5 ft deep water. Hope it helps.

I would be throwing anything that was black or dark colored because I have neve had much luck with white. I wold also be throwing topwater, mainly a Jitterbug and a Zara Spook. These are two of the most successful around here but this is PA so conditions will differ.

I'm with most of these answers, except it seems we all probably over-analyze what color works best.  There are other more important things to consider...in my opinion.  Most of us agree that dark is better at night.  Pumpkinseed is my favorite, but that's because I have the most faith in it.  Therefore, I catch more fish with it.  I use plastics/jigs almost entirely at night.

The most important thing is locating where feeding fish are.  Day or night.  If you can find an area where there's a lot of light at a dock, then obviously there's a spot.  Chances are you'll have quantity, not quality.  For bigger fish, I absolutely depend on areas where deep water is nearby.  Finding structure in deep water, or nearby deep water is my go-to approach.

Maybe the most important thing is safety.  Be sure others can clearly see you.  Seems like simple advice, but it can't be said enough.

Hope you do well.