Sign in to follow this  
roadwarrior

Dead Sticking

"Dead Stick Walking" by Matt Straw. No-motion philosophies for largemouth and smallmouth bass.

Just received this month's In-Fisherman (August/ September). If you are not familiar with this technique, be sure to get a hold of the magazine and take a look. If you already employ the presentation, you'll still enjoy the article.

"While the tactic is pretty much a do-nothing enterprise, the real key is ultimate location."

I think dead sticking catches me more fish with jigs than anything.Definely have to take a look into that issue.Only problem is i lose so many baits and hooks dued to snags.

Guest the_muddy_man

That can also be a somewhat serious medical situation caused by Diabetese,coronary disease,certain meds, and really ugly women

I like to dead stick Senkos around cover especially in the spring and summer. Sometimes deadsticking a Texas Rig works well for me also.

That can also be a somewhat serious medical situation caused by Diabetese,coronary disease,certain meds, and really ugly women

I swear you've used this one before  ;D

this is one of my favorite ways to fish in the winter.

sinse the bass are slugish and the weather is cold i just hold my pole an drink coco and wait for a tinny little tick.

now thats fishing

This just goes to show how much of a noob I am.  I thought deadsticking was for live or cut bait only.  I figured something about real bait--the blood trail, maybe--attracted nearby predator fish.

Consequently, I figured that artificial lures needed to be "worked" in some way.  Movement--even molasses slow movement--was key since artificials would lack a blood trail or what have you.

So, you can drop a Senko, let it sit and a bass will gobble it up just as readily as if it were moving?

Wild.

this is one of my favorite ways to fish in the winter.

sinse the bass are slugish and the weather is cold i just hold my pole an drink coco and wait for a tinny little tick.

now thats fishing

This is what I do but finding the fish can be difficult! Once you do and the bite is on, hold on! Where you catch one bass you can be sure there are more around. I take up to ten minutes on a cast which can be difficult while you're freezing your butt off. At times you won't even feel the bite just a slight movement of the line. I usually wait a bit longer to set hook then alot of times the bass just pick up the bait and don't suck it in. I find it very rewarding catching bass in winter!

Winter bass:

post-7272-130163007335_thumb.jpg

Great photo!

Thanks RW. I have a hard time with this technique but, have trained myself over the years to do it. I love cold water ---38-42 degrees for smallies and you have to use this technique most of the time. It will really increase your catch whether it be with a hair jig, Senko, Centipede, or tube. Its just so hard to do sometimes. I am a cast, let it hit bottom, pop,pop,pop and reel in kind of guy,lol. Again, thanks for the heads up on the article. :)---------Yes, great pic T-Rig. Where was it taken? Looks like a great area.

Thanks RW. I have a hard time with this technique but, have trained myself over the years to do it. I love cold water ---38-42 degrees for smallies and you have to use this technique most of the time. It will really increase your catch whether it be with a hair jig, Senko, Centipede, or tube. Its just so hard to do sometimes. I am a cast, let it hit bottom, pop,pop,pop and reel in kind of guy,lol. Again, thanks for the heads up on the article. :)---------Yes, great pic T-Rig. Where was it taken? Looks like a great area.

It's in Switzerland. Here's another where I'm freezing my butt (which you can see by the expression in my face) with 30mph winds. I did really well in winter. There were days I got nothing and then others where I caught over 10 fish. You can see snow on the mountains in the background. Like I said, catching fish in the cold months is really rewarding!

post-7272-130163007342_thumb.jpg

Nice chunks T-Rig. Yes, there is no better time of the year than winter for good bass. Here in Maryland and PA it seems around Nov to the ice along with high muddy water is my best time, in the river. I have a few questions since you are Swiss, if you get time. I find it interesting that you guys have bass. If I remember right didn't you tell us once that some soldier brought them over.

1. How is the population of bass and are there just certain areas that hold them?

2. Are there smallies?

3. Do you have a good spawn where you fish?

4. Does a government entity regulate your fishing?

5. How popular is bass fishing there?

6. What is the biggest you have witnessed?

7. Do you guys have tackle supply shops or do you have to order from here?

Thanks, Jim