Sign in to follow this  
xxroosterxx

Swimming jigs

Not sure as far as a good brand. For weight I would say it just depends on how deep you are fishing and how fast you want the jig to get there. Color would probably be the most important. You are going to want a color that will look like something in the water column. For example you won't find a crawdad five feet off the bottom. I would say shad and bluegill colors depending on the season and forage. Hope that helps.

Not sure as far as a good brand. For weight I would say it just depends on how deep you are fishing and how fast you want the jig to get there. Color would probably be the most important. You are going to want a color that will look like something in the water column. For example you won't find a crawdad five feet off the bottom. I would say shad and bluegill colors depending on the season and forage. Hope that helps.

Not so fast! A swimming jig is more of a reaction bite! Color does matter but it it is not the number one factor. Color, size of the jig, speed of the jig and the trailer all come into play a important part of the swimming jig

On the Upper Mississippi River where I fish, it is mainly a shallow water technique. 1/8-3/8 jigs about cover it. Most of the colors from shad to crawdad and always black and blue. I usually start with at least a couple different rods rigged with different colors. I believe changing trailer colors can be very important. I have done well at times with some strange combinations. I've used the Monsoor jig that BPS sells, mainly because he is the man in these parts, its ok, Lethal Weapon, Brovarney are good. Most are built using a 28 degree hook, lighter wire, weedguard and skirt. It's a "swimming" jig so the trailer is important as well. Whatever jig, it must swim straight up.

I've done well on the Outkast in the 1/4 oz size. The most productive color has been the purple green jig with a 5" Yamamoto grub color #214(smoke with black, blue & gold flakes). I also like the the sunfish color with a green pumpkin Yamamoto trailer. The swim jig is definetely one of my favorite shallow water baits.

Booyah makes a good swimming jig, the three colors you should use are shad,bluegill,and black and blue.Crawdad can work sometimes but I think you get a better crawdad imitation with other types of jigs,like a football head jig. trailers are another important part, strike kings rag tailed craw is good for stained water,but you'll want to use a curly tailed grub for clear water