Sign in to follow this  
Red

HELP!! Fishing with youngsters!

first let me start by saying i do not have any kids of my own, my wife and i have decided to take my two nephews in to live with us, the main reason is... their parents are as useless as on a bull...but thats another story...

they are 3 and 5 years old

anyway i took them fishing tonight to try to catch some gills and maybe a bass....i knew it was very hot and that we wouldnt be there long...so we packed up the worms, bottled water, two scoooby doo rods and headed out...we got there and i picked a spot that didnt have alot of tall grass around so they would have room to stand....i bait each hook and toss em out(they dont know how to cast yet)...fish on right away on the three year olds rod...he reels it in and i have him lip the gill and snap a pic...great...something to show grandma....so far so good....in the meantime the 5 year old is scared of everything!!! the grass, the hook, and mainly the fish! he gets one on and reels it in, he wont touch it for nothin, just started crying when i held the fish up to have him touch it...all i wanted to have was a pic of each of them holding their catch...even after seeing his younger brother do it he would not touch it....so next i decided to have him just hold the line with the fish on it and get the pic...that was better but he was still scared....i got really frusterated....

anyway, it was hot so we decided to go to the other tank where there was shade...got there, baited hooks, toss em out....same scenario...scared of everything...when are we leaving? so we left....we left my house, got to the tanks, and back to my house in less than an hour, and its about 15-20 minute drive each way...i knew we wouldnt be there long but i did not expect it to be that short

anyway, what can i do to help them(and me) enjoy a trip like this more? they didnt seem to have much fun other than after that first fish(the 5year old didnt have fun at all)....i want to create some good times for them to remember...especialy since they have had a pretty tough life so far...additionally, what can i do for myself to not get so dang aggrivated?

the three year old told me hes ready to go again when its not so hot, the 5 year old said he never wants to go fishing ever again...that made me kinda sad...i know that me getting frusterated with them did not help the situation, and now looking back i will try harder to be more patient next time, if there is a next time

so any help yall can give will be MUCH appreciated.....i am sure LBH will have some tips cuz i know he does alot with the kids

thanks guys

Cliff

here is the pics i did manage to get

taylor 3 yrs

Picture038.jpg

bishop 5 yrs

Picture039.jpg

The 5 year old being scared may have more to do with his confidence than anything else....If you provide him with that which he has not had...."Non-Useless " environment......You will definitely see this improve over time....Patience is a virtue in these cases.

My wife and I foster and see this alot....

For the boredom part....try adding incentives and or HUGE AMOUNTS OF PRAISE to the enjoyment of the activity.

Just my 2 cents

I routinely go fishing with my kids.  I have one in tow every time, sometimes three.  My oldest (9) and I go fishing a lot.  He can take long trips, fish for 5-6 hours, stick with the same bait, etc.

My 4 year-old is a different story.  1-2 hours tops.  Lots of bait changing.  Lots of line problems, hangups, etc.  

My 2 year-old daughter goes with us quite a bit as well.  She won't really fish but she like's to pet each fish.

Here are things that I've learned...

For me and my 9 yo:  Pack some cold drinks, bottled water, 2-3 rods each (no down time for changing bait), pre-rig everything at the house, pack some light snacks (sunflower seeds, cookies, cheese sticks).

For me, 9, and 4:  Do everything above, but pack heartier snacks (cold cuts, lunchables), take frequent breaks (every 30 minutes), do not do worm and bobber routine.  Give him a jighead with a little grub on it, and let him make mistakes and cast.  He really enjoys the casting and reeling.  

For me, 9, 4, and 2:  Take a 30 minute break for lunch, bring a full meal, bring shade and pillow for nap,  and go to a place that has lots of easy fish to catch.  Do not plan on casting at all.  In fact, I sometimes don't take my rod and reel (I end up getting more frustrated).

I, too, lose my patience quite a bit.  However, they keep wanting to go back.  

I fish 10 hours a week or more with the 9, 4 hours a week with the 4, and I fish once every two weeks with the 2.  My 4 year-old found a hook lying around the house today (not a good idea), pulled out a worm and texas-rigged it himself.  When he showed it to me I was a proud papa.

Keep trying.  You are doing a fantastic thing, and parents lose patience all the time.  We all have some growing up to do.

The Red Torpedo,

I think it's wonderful that you have taken in your nephews!  You obviously care to take the time to be a positive role model and that's something they really need.  

As much as we all love fishing, it isn't for everyone.  Everyone can (or should) be able to find something enjoyable outside to do and maybe that can be the focus of your outings.  Do some fishing, play catch, go on a short hike to see something neat, catch critters, learn about different plants and animals, there's so much cool stuff to do outside.  Maybe the five year old would enjoy painting or drawing the fish the three year old catches?  The important thing is that you are making an effort.  When you're having fun it will be that much easier for them to relax and enjoy themselves too.  Do your best not to get frustrated and when you do it might be a good time to switch activities.

Good Luck you're off to a great start!

You just have to be patient and let them go at their own pace, as much as we would love to show them how great fishing is, we can take them to the water, but we can't make them drink.

Half the trick is getting them to discover the joys of fishing we already know about on their own. They will then take ownership of a new passion. Glad to see the youger one likes fishing. Perhaps the older one will see that fire in his brother's eyes the next time out to bring him into the fold.

Since kids that age don't usually have long attention spans, have other activities on hand. For me, I'll go to a lake with a playground. They can then go back to fishing later. Another thing, I gave 100% of my time in the beginning in that I did not fish with them until they are more independent. Then they will want me to fish with them so they can "beat" me. Fortunately, that really isn't hard to do and I'd prefer they win. It ensures that they would want to fish with me again.

First off, Kudos for stepping up. ;)

The 5 year old being scared may have more to do with his confidence than anything else....If you provide him with that which he has not had...."Non-Useless" environment......You will definitely see this improve over time....Patience is a virtue in these cases.

My wife and I foster and see this alot....

For the boredom part....try adding incentives and or HUGE AMOUNTS OF PRAISE to the enjoyment of the activity.

Just my 2 cents

This is my .02 also. I fish a lot with kids and this is quite common. DO NOT say,..."look, even your little sister can do it"

KEEP IT ALL POSITIVE, keep it a rewarding experience and continue it at home. Go to the wife when the child thinks you are not aware he is nearby and tell her how proud you are of him,etc, how well they did,....it makes it real for them to hear you tell someone else how great the little guy did.

Also, bring snacks. ;) Bring a frisbee, bring a football. Don't make it all fishing, mix it up so they stay tuned in to the time they are spending with you, not just the goal of catching fish.

Guest avid

there are so many answers to your questions.

but based on what I read.  The first thing I would say is.

Take them fishing when THEY want not to go, not when it's convennient for you.

If it's hot out or something,  tell them that and suggest a little walk, then ask -d do you still want sit out in a boat fishing?

Only a true diehard would still yes.

thanks guys, all good stuff, i will use these tips for sure and let you know how the next trip goes

Cliff

Lots of good advice given.  I've been through it with my son, fishing with him since he was a little squirt.  Now he can load the boat on the trailer for me and out fish me from the back seat a good bit of the time.  At first it was frustrating.  I was hung in that tournament mind set where every second would make or break the trip.  Digging out a backlash or getting a lure out of a tree would really get my blood pressure up there.  I found that if I'd back it down a few notches and let the trip take it's own direction it was much more fun for both of us.  Bass not biting?  Get a few minnows and catch a crappie.  Crappie not biting?  Let's look for frogs.  I had to remember that I was making a long term investment in my boy so that he'd grow up right and we'd share something we love.   So far it's worked out well but he's just reaching his teens so I hope it sticks with him.  big

Help them out in fishing but most important to just let them be kids, dont always tell them what to or how to use a rod,lure,ect. Let them figure it out, dont take the fun out of it by telling them many directions on how to fish.

I agree with making it interesting, if it's a bad dont keep them out there for hours, if they have several days of hours of no fish, chances are they will no longer be interested. Let them learn about the bad days of fishing as they get older. :'(

Find a good place to fish and remember to them 10 blue gils are better than 9 bass " most of the time" so you better be willing to fish the area where they are having a time of there life. Take them fishing not them watching you fish, pass the pole if your getting bites and teach them how to reel one in, catching the fish can come later.

47b6d632b3127cce8b8350322a2200000016100AbuHDRozbsWLg

Help them out in fishing but most important to just let them be kids, dont always tell them what to or how to use a rod,lure,ect. Let them figure it out, dont take the fun out of it by telling them many directions on how to fish.

I agree 100%.

Taking my eight year old out can be a chore sometimes. Especially if he isn't getting any bites.

So he will start catching bullfrogs with slim senkos and he has a blast. At first I was getting angry lol but than I remembered that its what he wants to do to make his trip fun. So I fished for some LM and he caught bullfrogs.

Lesson is...........let them do what they want to do on an outing as long as its not harming themselves, yourself, or the wildlife around them.

Be positive!!! Because I'm sure there was not a lot of positive praise coming from a useless home. :'(

Lesson is...........let them do what they want to do on an outing as long as its not harming themselves, yourself, or the wildlife around them.

thats the key, let THEM have fun doing what THEY want to do.

good thing you are doing, get them in the outdoors and away from video games and wierd guys on bass fishing forums.  I wish i would have had someone like you growing up to teach me how to fish. :-[

i was talking with my mom the other day, asked her if i was kinda scared of stuff growing up and we got talking about"kids these days" and stuff....she said in the morning, she opened the door, and said see ya at lunch...and i was gone, playing in the creek, catchin craws, and minnows and snakes and crap....then all the moms in the neighborhood would be screaming for their rugrats at lunch time...and again for supper...she was tellin me how my other neice and nephew(16 and 13) watch TV like it going out of style! and video games and stuff....its crazy...i would kill to be 9 again and catchin stuff in the creek....was good times

Cliff

i was talking with my mom the other day, asked her if i was kinda scared of stuff growing up and we got talking about"kids these days" and stuff....she said in the morning, she opened the door, and said see ya at lunch...and i was gone, playing in the creek, catchin craws, and minnows and snakes and crap....then all the moms in the neighborhood would be screaming for their rugrats at lunch time...and again for supper...she was tellin me how my other neice and nephew(16 and 13) watch TV like it going out of style! and video games and stuff....its crazy...i would kill to be 9 again and catchin stuff in the creek....was good times

Cliff

Them was the good old days  :)

yeah they sure were, my nephews that are living with me now are accustomed to sitting and watching cartoons....not under my roof!  they went to their grnadmas for the last couple days, they came back last night and already want to go fishing again...i was very suprised

Cliff

yeah they sure were, my nephews that are living with me now are accustomed to sitting and watching cartoons....not under my roof! they went to their grnadmas for the last couple days, they came back last night and already want to go fishing again...i was very suprisedCliff

Have no doubt, you're doing something right!  I will amaze you the changes in those kids you will see, quickly..........way to go!

deb

yeah they sure were, my nephews that are living with me now are accustomed to sitting and watching cartoons....not under my roof! they went to their grnadmas for the last couple days, they came back last night and already want to go fishing again...i was very suprised

Cliff

Don't be suprised. Kids want more than just TV and garbage. They are looking for quality time spent with them. Keep it up Red. Your doing a great thing.

i have seen big changes already...of course you all dont know the whole story...but their have been big changes in their behavior(for the better) and using the toilet(for the MUCH better)  we got the younger one registered for day care yesterday...kindergarten for the older one as soon as we can get his mother to cooperate and register him, since she legally has custody

like i said i dont have any kids of my own, but these two will be treated as if they were, i look forward to this adventure!!

dont be suprised if i come asking all you dads(and moms) for more advice

thanks all

Cliff

i have seen big changes already...of course you all dont know the whole story...but their have been big changes in their behavior(for the better) and using the toilet(for the MUCH better) we got the younger one registered for day care yesterday...kindergarten for the older one as soon as we can get his mother to cooperate and register him, since she legally has custody

like i said i dont have any kids of my own, but these two will be treated as if they were, i look forward to this adventure!!

dont be suprised if i come asking all you dads(and moms) for more advice

thanks all

Cliff

As a stepdad who has raised my son since he was 1 years old I probably could help a lot lol. Been through a ton with my boy. Its a tough road especially when there not "really" yours. They tend to throw that back at you sometimes. But it doesn't change nothing as far as raising them and loving them as your own. My prayers are with ya Red. Its a fun but rather interesting road.

So he will start catching bullfrogs with slim senkos and he has a blast. At first I was getting angry lol but than I remembered that its what he wants to do to make his trip fun. So I fished for some LM and he caught bullfrogs.

I love to catch bullfrogs!!

Are you telling me I'm not grown up yet?

"Be back when the street lights come on",.....those were the days

That was always our time to be back too.

I wouldn't want to be 9 again, but I wouldn't mind 13 or 14.