Sign in to follow this  
zeppy

the morning bite

i was just wondering when do the bass start biting in the morning.  do  they not stop all night through the morning or go off and on.  Im asking this because i know people have good luck with night fishing, and right after the night is the morning, so do bass take a break or what??

i was just wondering when do the bass start biting in the morning. do they not stop all night through the morning or go off and on. Im asking this because i know people have good luck with night fishing, and right after the night is the morning, so do bass take a break or what??

You answered your own question. :)

I'm no fishing pro, but I do know that I have read a hundred times that predator game fish will "Actively feed", which means they will go out hunting for food, in low light conditions. This means early morning when they sun is low, late in the day when the sun is low, at night, or on overcast days. This is because fish fear predators such as birds or carvivorous mammals, and during high light periods they feel visible and vulnerable to attack. This is why during blue sky sunny days, fishing cover is essential. Bass will seek out wood or vegatation to hide in, or docks, rockpiles, deeper water(the more water above them means the more light that gets filtered out by that water. This doesn;t mean bass won't feed during these high light times, they will just not be swimming around in search of food. Instead they will find a comfortable safe place and wait for an unsuspecting victim to swim by and they will ambush it and return back to their cover. This is why most people find it harder to catch fish onbright sunny day or high pressure days as they are called(the pressure refers to the barometric pressure, look it up if you dont know about this since it is very important in fish behavior) The fishing is tough because unless you present your bait or lure with in a short distance of the fish, they are not going to venture out very far to attack it in fear of being seen by predators. This is more for shallower water or clear water, since a bass residing in fifteen feet of dirty water isn't nearly as visible to predators since the fifteen feet of dirty water filters out the light with the plankston and dirt matter in the water.

Most people think fish avoid the bright sun because they have no eye lids and the sun hurts their eyes. I have read this more than a couple of times, and Bill Dance since this is false, at least for bass. Bass have a dark pigment in their eyes that allow them to see during bright light. I'm guessing this dark pigment acts like sunglasses.

The other day I knew since the forcast was for weather in the mid 70's and bright sun my best bite to get a bass was during the first few hours of sun, so around 7 am I started casting from shore and noticed about 50 yards off shore that the bass were busting bait fish on top. It looks like a shotgun blast went off under the water when all the bait fish jump up out of the water to avoid the bass. They were out of the reach of my casts so I just admired the sight and sulked. I went fishless that day. But this is a case of the bass schooling up and activley searching out this school of bait and attacking. You would not see this at noon at the same place on surface, maybe suspended over deeper water or on the bottom in 15 feet.

I have always read that fish will be most active within the first few hours after sunrise and first few hours before sun set. This is because the sun is low, and the bass feel safer cruising around outside of their cover. This does not mean that a big bass won't stay hidden during low light areas though, they will just to preserve energy. So don't think during these hours or on overcast days that prime cover spots like docks, lilypads grassbeds and timber/wood won't be holding fish because they will be cruising, they are just more apt to be hanging out a little further off the cover instead of tucked way up in it.

Sorry for the wicked long post, but I dind't think I could give a quality response without doing so.

Topwater at sunrise and sunset produces results.

Topwater at sunrise and sunset produces no results.

Had it happen both ways.

Go figure.

The above post says it all.

Just keep throwing those buzzbaits and poppers and see what happens.

A widely held misconception is that big bass feed only at night, or at dawn and dusk. This is simply untrue; in fact, you are very likely to find large fish feeding during the middle of the day. The reason is the migration of shad to and from open water usually occurs during mid-morning and mid-afternoon.

Darkness covers up an angler's presence and most of all his mistakes. Fish don't feed as regularly at night as they do in the day but when they are feeding, it's far less of a problem to catch them,

An other consideration is the fish population itself.  Many lakes have 2 distinct populations: those who live and/or frequently visit shallow water, and those that stay deep much of the time.

The deep water fish seem to feed on a regular basis and for me time of day doesn't matter much .  On the other hand the shallow fish will be biting as the light gets on the water and much of the time within an hour of sunrise they get the heck out of Dodge.  They either move deeper or move out and suspend.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Jig man's post is a prime example of what I was saying. The fish that populate the deeper water feel safer from predators and feel comfortable all day long, therefor they will feed all day long since nothing will throw them off this "frame of mind". The shallow water fish will feed during the low light when they feel safe, but once that sun gets high in the sky and they feel vulnerable, they get scared, and lose their "feeding frame of mind" and go into survival mode, which is a much stronger instinct thant to feed. This will, as jigman pointed out, send the bass to either deeper water, which is a sort of cover, or seek true cover such as thick vegatation or timber where they can hide.

Shad move during daylight because they feel safer than they would during darkness  ;)

The key to consistently catching bass is to learn what the shad do; this in turn will teach you why the bass do what they do. Both shallow water bass & deep water bass know instinctively when their pray is easiest to locate proving the fact that bass must feed efficiently (maximize food intake and minimize energy output).

Bass eat kinda  like we do.    We have regular meal times, and then we may snack in between sometimes.

We say bass are opportunistic feeders.    My best bites are in the summer time.   I can pull you up on certain spots and almost guarantee them to be biting.;   Like setting my watch every day.    

A bass will position them selves in ambush spots, whether actively feeding or maybe waiting for a snack that happens to close to her hangout.   Thus opportunistic.

Also, the summer, which is heat, drives a bass' metabolism to feed more often,  as opposed to winter.    A good example is.    A 2 lb bass may eat a 5 inch shad on a summer morning and feed again at noon, where as that same bass that ate a 5 inch shad in Dec, may not eat for 5 days, as her metabolism is slowed down during colder water temps, and she perfectly healthy.

Bass, any bass, whites, stripers, may feed actively all day sometimes.    Bass are notorious for puking after they just ate, so they can actively feed again.   I know some with livewells will attest to what they have seen puked up in the livewells.     Bass are assians, they'll kill for no reason,

I target deep water humps that shad frequent throughout the day.   I don't really have to move all day, cause fish are there, and if I have caught 20 from there already, it just replenishes as the day goes on, why, because shad cruise by numerous times a day.      

Matt.

this guys right  big bass dont get big by just feeding at night they feed as often as possiable they make their living on trying to grab that bait 1st  before the lil ones do simply because they have learned to eat that thay need to be more agressive and dominate

A widely held misconception is that big bass feed only at night, or at dawn and dusk. This is simply untrue; in fact, you are very likely to find large fish feeding during the middle of the day. The reason is the migration of shad to and from open water usually occurs during mid-morning and mid-afternoon.

Darkness covers up an angler's presence and most of all his mistakes. Fish don't feed as regularly at night as they do in the day but when they are feeding, it's far less of a problem to catch them,