Sign in to follow this  
zeppy

FAll Fishing

are there any different techniques that you use during the fall or do you wait until it just gets cold.  will bass start responding differently or do you think it will be a while before their metabolism slows down???

Usually they gorge themselves...I'm gonna have some problems because the shads are overpopulated and bass are slow and picky now.Least that's what i'm seeing.

It's unbelievable how much shads are in that water...every fish i catch has a belly on them.

Im in south mississippi and itll still be quite a while before it cools down enough but during the months of dec,jan, feb, it will be time to slow down. My best cold water bait is a spinnerbait. Slow rolling a 1/2 ounce white spinnerbait, the way to go for me usually.

For the early fall any speed will work, because as the water temps cool off and get back down into the 60s and 70s that's when the bass are more active rather then the 70s and 80s temps of the summer. In the late fall though I would reccomend slow retrieves.

In the fall I enjoy slinging topwaters, and spinner-baits as well as worms, crank-baits (lipped and lipless) and jerk-baits.

Good luck!  8-)

Usually they gorge themselves...I'm gonna have some problems because the shads are overpopulated and bass are slow and picky now.Least that's what i'm seeing.

It's unbelievable how much shads are in that water...every fish i catch has a belly on them.

Same here! Even 1-2lbers. have bellies on them (if you can catch them  ;))!

Do NOT "match the hatch." You need something that stands out from the overwhelming baitfish populations. Same color/ different color; bigger size; more flash; more/ less action; something. Shallow running, wide wobble crankbaits are my #1 suggestion. #2 is Rat-L-Trap type lures. In low light, this is the best time of year for jerkbaits, too.

Here in New England, the bass are the laziest bunch.........just dog it all day. They'll get movin now with this artic blast comming this weekend..............cool down the pool abit.