Sign in to follow this  
Jig Man

Fall cold fronts do they

have any effect on your buzz bait bite. I have been on a good pattern for about 4 weeks. I went yesterday after a cold front and the fish were still in knee deep water and hit tandem spinnerbaits real well but none would take a buzz bait.

Have you noticed this where you live?

During a major cold front, air temperatures are significantly colder than water temperatures.

The result is a lowering of water temperature at the surface of the lake, which is the warmest, lightest and most vulnerable water.

Surface water that's been chilled by air temperatures falls like rain through the epilimnion, until reaching water of similar density

in the metalimnion (thermocline). There is absolutely no evidence that bass swim laterally to deeper water during a cold front,

but telemetry and diving studies have both shown that bass will sink to the bottom within their resident water column.

You can take it from there.

Roger

RoLo that is a very informative.  However, I am wanting to know if any of you guys have had a buzzbait die like mine did and the fish not moving but agressively hitting spinnerbaits.

Fished the Nottoway River on Sunday and my buddy threw a buzzbait and topwater frog and caught three.

We had a tropical depression flow through the area as we fished so we were in the middle of a cold front and a strong falling barometric pressure.

I caught one on a pink trick worm fished on top of the submerged pads.

The bowfin tore up all plastics we threw.

It seems the bass wanted "reaction" type baits so they were hitting the buzzbait throught the day.

Some days they want a topwater; other days they want a bottom rig; and some days they want their dinners moving.

When anyone figures out the answer to this question please let me know.