Sign in to follow this  
Bad to da Bass

Brush Hogs??????????????

Ok lately I have been noticing that a lot of you guys on here have been talking about using brush hogs as jig trailers.  First of all what size do you like to use as the jig trailer?  Also do you cut of any of body to make it shorter?  Lastly, any more tips on using them would be great!!!!

I have tried using brush hogs before as a jig but haven't had any luck I'm looking for you guys to motivate me to give them another chance!!!!!!

8-)

Every time I come down to NC to visit my wifes relatives her uncle and I always end up fishing some ponds.  He absolutely kills me using a pumpkin colored brush hog just fishing it texas style in these ponds. I have NEVER had any luck with them either.

Brush Hog is my #1 go to bait. But I usually fish it Texas style with a pegged sinker. When I put it on a jig I will start with the standard brush hog if using a skirt. If not using a skirt I may size down to the smaller hog.

Brush and Baby Brush Hogs are bass catching machine's. You can't fish them wrong! :D

Brush and Baby Brush Hogs are bass catching machine's. You can't fish them wrong! :D

Really?  What is the main way?  hopping them along?  dragging them?

I've tried them a few times texas rigged without a bite

They don't work so hot for me either.  I've gotten a few fish on them, but the Sweet Beaver outfishes the brush hog for my at least 5 to 1...

The baby brushhog is one of my go to "numbers" baits out there, I like to stick it texas rigged on a owner ultrahead hook and drag it with a few little hops every now and then...this is also my #1 bed fishing presentation...I use the baby brushhog all spring until the bass get off the beds then I switch to the regular hog and fish it as a backup when when my jigs arent gettin bit...This has to be one of the best pad fishing baits out there, put it on a 1/8-3/16 owner sledhead and crawl it across the top of the pads and drop it into the holes and just watch the line twitch! 8-)

I made fun of my dad for using a baby brush hog as a jig trailer once.  He had the last laugh after he stuck his new PB a few minutes later.

I don't know if I would use a regular brush hug as a trailer, but definately a baby brush hog.

Mike McClelland finished 4th at the KY Lake elite last year fishing regular brush hogs on the back of football jigs. I saw him preparing them and rigging them up before he blasted off on the last morning...thought it was crazy at first haha.

Baby brush hogs work great as trailers. I'll most often bite the top 1/2" off before rigging it on. It is my second favorite jig trailer next to a beaver.

Full size, t-rigged brush hogs from late spring on, are hard to beat! IMO They hold onto them alot better than jigs as well. I don't use the zoom brand anymore. Found some that are really loaded with salt and garlic and work much better for me than the zoom's did.

Really? What is the main way? hopping them along? dragging them?

I've tried them a few times texas rigged without a bite

Maybe you are fishing them too fast! I fish the brush hog on a T-rig, and C-rig. I use the baby brush on on a Spot Remover jig and this is a killer.I also use a sent on all my plastic baits.Great as a jig trailer.

The colors that I like are green pumpkin, june bug, watermelon,red bug,watermelon chart.

Check out the new Netbait Mad Paca, and the Baby Mad Paca, I think they have more action!

AS FAR AS USING BRUSH HOGS FOR JIG TRAILERS GOES...

I have always liked / had the most success with a watermelon w/ red flake Baby Brush Hog.

1. At the head of the bait, i cut off JUST enough to give it a flat head, instead of the rounded off head it has already. I do this because i feel it prevents the bait from sliding/turning on the jig hook. (Alot of times i will use a dab of super glue to eliminate this problem when using jig trailers.)

2. The Brush Hogs "arms": I will disconnect (with scissors or teeth) the part of the arm(s) that are closest to the head of the bait. To me atleast, this gives the bait a LITTLE more action than it already has.

3. As you can notice, the Brush Hog has 2 different sets of "legs", one set is the legs more molded with the body of the bait, the outside, thicker, shorter legs. I will CAREFULLY tear them alittle where they have been molded to the long, thin legs, just a little. This will seperate them more from the other legs, and give them more of a wider action in the water.

4. With the same, shorter, thicker legs i have just cut, alot of times i will take scissors and cut them down the mold seam, to imitate craw claws. I don't know how effective this one is, but i do it it any ways.

5. This same technique has worked VERY well for me on a Spot Remover jig head too.

post-5225-13016288027_thumb.jpg