Sign in to follow this  
Dixon

Bass just brushing at your frogs.

I tried a Rage Toad yesterday for the first time.  Got 2 bass and lost 2 at the boat. Got a bunch of interest but not really attacking it.  I had a bunch of bass swelling or brushing the toad.   One bass actually ate my toads leg.

Just curious what do you guys do when your fishing a frog and you can obviously tell the fish are there and interested but not biting.  Do you do something different in your presentation or throw another bait at them?  

I fished the same bait quite often last summer.

Usually if bass are short striking the toads, then you should switch the color. That should help.

I made the mistake of hooking these guys up on a 3/0 EWG and should have been a 5/0 EWG. It made a big difference in how many I caught and how many I lost.

The bait is tough though, I did have the same happen to me quite often. Hopefully by switching to a Heavy Fast pole it's help as well.

Good luck, I prefered the all white color as well.

I will fill ya'll in on a little secret on landing more fish on these frogs. Turn the frog on its belly, then take a knife and were the marks are for the hook to go in cut a small incision through the bait to were the knife sticks through the other side. There should only be a 1/4 inch cut on the top of the bait so you can still skin hook. This will help the hook slide through a lot easier. Definitely use a 5\0 hook.

If they aren't taking te bait try different retreives like going faster or when they wake up let it fall in front of them.

use these tips and you will catch many more fish.

I like to keep a T-rigged soft pastic like a fluke or creature tied on when I'm throwing a frog. If I'm getting alot of interest but few bass really smashing it, I keep fishing the frog but when a fish misses it I will immediatly throw the soft plastic to the boil. I've had some good days using the frog to find the fish and catching them on the T-rig. Also works good with two guys 8-)

If they are missing the toad try a hollow body like Snagroof or Bronzeye. Are you using braid and possibly yanking it away from them too fast?

I always have a spinning reel with a floating worm rigged when I throw a frog for this reason. Throw it a couple feet behind the short strike and twitch at and let it sit. Most of the time they will hammer it! I usually throw a similar color worm as the frog, but a change in color may work as well. Good Luck!

Hey Dixon, I agree with many of the above comments and definitely use a 5/0 ewg minimum. Also be sure to allow the fish to load up before setting the hook. Speeding up retrieve just slightly sometimes creates a more aggressive strike and if the fish completely misses the bait and you continued the retrieve with no additional strike, next time stop the retrieve and let it free fall maybe a slight twitch. Having an additional bait rigged like a fluke is great follow up with too. Braid or stought line is also recommended to avoid line stretch on the hook set.

My favorite colors are the pearl belly and green pumpkin back and/or the chartreuse belly and green pumpkin back. the Rage Toad has a small hook relief on his back that the hook point can be hidden in or skin hooked without changing the original shape of the Toad.

Hope some of this info helps and let me know how you do or if you have more questions.

Big O

www.ragetail.com