Sign in to follow this  
Strike Prince

How does cool weather streak/rain affect fish?

So in WA state we've had a few days of steady rain and cooler weather, about 15 degrees cooler then what it had been earlier.

Just wondering what effect this weather might have on the fish, and also, what is the immediate effect of rain and cloudy weather on fish?

Like does it drive them shallow, off cover, too cover, etc.  I'm planning on fishing tomorrow.

Thanks.

In my experience, the above average rain this  summer and the last couple weeks with 50 degree nights and 70 deg days has confused the bass.  

I caught some shallow, some deep and some cruising in 3-5'.  Usually the shoreline cover is dry this time of year.  Now it looks like the spring with high water.  All I caught were under 1.5 lbs but lots of numbers.

Overall most were caught in 10-15' deep grass.

Bluebird skies will put them tight to cover and fish slow with accure casts.

Cloudy skies should keep them active and partly sunny skies should move some shallow

good luck

The fish for me around here in belton texas is pretty good when it is sprinkling rain specialy with a buss bait they just tear it up. ;)

I think when it gets colder, they go deeper and become less active. Im not 100% sure, so someone correct me if Im wrong.

When they transition from summer to fall they tend to get more active.  But i dont think they are in that transition yet some are always shallow but deeper water is still probally your best bet.  In about 2 weeks or so they will probally start moving towards the creeks following the baitfish.

We have been getting a fair amount of showers in the afternoon and I have gone before, after, and during the rain. I have been catching a lot less fish than I normally do. Maybe it is the heat.

Some my best fishing has been in the rain.

Cold fronts turn them off.

Rain turns them on.

Cold fronts and rain turn them off.