Sign in to follow this  
fishizzle

night fishing

I went fishing with Tokyo Tony the other night and caught lots of small largemouth and a few bigger ones.

I was hoping for more bigger bass.

I'd like to know how specifically to locate bass at night;  lures and patterns

Do bass move far and shallow or just hunt away from their daytime cover?

You locate them the same way you do during the daylight using the same baits  ;)

I've found they can be caught in pretty shallow water at night. Literally in 1' of water throwing at shoreline cattails, etc.

You locate them the same way you do during the daylight using the same baits ;)

For the most part, you can't go wrong.  

On a personal level, I like to use larger baits and dark colors, where as during the day i might use small baits and lighter colors.  See what works for you

The lake I fish has lots of weeds

lillipads in the coves, 12" grass everywhere and random string -like weed thats makes crankbaits tough to throw

The lake averages 6-8' deep

We used midnight special spinnerbaits

As I was fishing, I was at a loss as to where to go to find larger bass.

Was it just a small fish night?

I don't know much about night fishing

A widely held misconception is that big bass feed only at night, or at dawn and dusk. This is simply untrue; in fact, you are very likely to find large bass feeding during the middle of the day. Darkness covers up an angler's presence and most of all his mistakes. Fish don't feed as regularly at night as they do in the day but when they are feeding, it's far less of a problem to catch them.

It just offers a few more "angler friendly" variables, like the ones catt mentioned, covering mistakes, etc

Some others are

Less pressure.  Especially a new body, it's like completely virgin water if you are the first lunatic to show up there at 10pm and stay till morn.  These fish are ALL YOURS!  A mindset that only adds to your confidence and enjoyment of the experience.

many creatures come alive at night, new food offerings are introduced to fish as night approaches.  Just like lunch and dinner are 2 very similar yet completely different things to us.  Eggs are great but ribs are good once in awhile too,lol

Relating back to the pressure aspect.  I think some of the larger class got that way by hunting under the stealth of night.  Creeping.

No "Birds of prey" at night.  Another + to a fish when stalking in the shallows

GREAT ambush potentials.  I think the smarter, bigger bass recognize those prime ambush locations and watch their value multiply as the darkness approaches

More vulnerable prey.  With the darkness, I think some of the fish that bass feed on may have a false confidence that a bass can capitalize on.

My best bass fishing has been towards dawn or just before dawn. The place is fished heavily in the evenings so it settles down during the night and early mornings. I find the bass are up against the shore in the shallows ambushing the bait fish. Thats another key to success were the bait fish are thats were the bass are too.  The bass are up against the shore during the night and move to deeper cover as the sun comes up.  The baitfishes eyes change slower to the light conditions making them easy prey for the bass during sunup it also happens during the evenings too.  This is why we have a bass feeding frenzy at dawn and in the evenings.  There going after an easy meal.

I go out at 3:00am to 4:00am fish.(example) Depending on what time the sun is up, i get out there in the dark. Sometimes i can hear the body slams in the water that sounds like us jumping in the water there that loud. The bass are on a feeding frenzy. Being stealthy is the key and the most important thing too. You can't make a sound we have to be quiet(stealthy). Be quiet with your tackle and tackle box too. The bass are very spooky too. I had to cough once and i watched a big wake swim away from me in the shallows. If your fishing from shore walk softly too and don't step on any rocks they send sounds out into the water too.

I like to fish the smaller places from shore. So far my record has been 10lb LMB in one place and a 6lb 1oz LBM at another place. And i have seen bigger fish come into look while i'm catching the smaller bass when its first light. Polarized glasses are very important too. You have to scan the water while your fishing too. I constantly watch behind my lure for flashes(strikes that are misses) that tells me to slow down or change my presentation.

I have also learned that when the bite is on and it slows down up size your bait. The bigger fish come in to look at what the smaller fish are doing but they won't hit the smaller baits remember big bait big fish i swear by it.

Night fishing isn't hard just be very very stealthy and you will have success too.

I have had some fisherman tell me to wait till 10pm the bass will turn on as it gets later.  It seems to me the bass turn on as the sun goes down,  they turn on gain after dark when the place settles down.  Then they turn on at dawn till the sun goes up.  Then they move to there deeper cover and haunts during the day.  They move almost like the tide in saltwater. Now remember this is what i'm seeing fishing from shore.

What about pier lights?.......I mean everyone fishes them and it is really hard to catch fish off them.

You pretty much just summed up why... There is a lot of pressure and the fish are alot more finiky. ;)