Sign in to follow this  
chuckatuk

fishing after a hurricane?

well it is a tropical storm.we have had around 4 inches of rain the storm is suppose to be out of here by this afternoon.i plan to go flip the willows tomorrow with all the rising water.anyone else fished after a tropical storm.

I fished before, after, & during tropical storms; my partner was on Toledo Bend when Hurricane Gustav came through and caught quite well up until it hit flipping brush piles in Six Mile.

Since I fish out row boats on the NYC reservoir system, after storm winds would be my main concern. It it's fishable weather, and it's my weekly day to fish, then I'm on the water. Of course, the ability to get up there due to down trees etc. would also have a direct cause and effect on my plans.

We went before, during, and after Gustav at some ponds. We didn't catch anything, not even a bite  :(   We continued to get rain on the next few days. Went out yesterday(4 days after) and did not catch anything, but I had one break off that felt real good. Went again this morning at daybreak and caught 2 on a frog and 2 on a trick stick. Saw a couple big ones bangin gills close to the bank but I could not get them 2 bite. I think I am going to try a fluke tomorrow.

I normally have good luck sitting a little further from the shore then normal and throwing at cold running creeks flowing into the lake.  The rains will deffinately hurt if not kill your water clearity so make sure you bring the chartruese.

If that doesn't work try weightless plastics on wood near deep water and if you can skip the worm UNDER the wood so it drops to a place on the tree where the rain wouldn't have hit as hard.

Either way, it's never a good situation but tough conditions make you a better fisherman.  That's never been true for me but I've heard it a ton of times.  Actually tough times make me want to start bowling.  :D

i just saw a news report were a creek that enters the lake was running over the bridge.{lake jordan nc}the ramps are suppose to open tomorrow.if not i will go to kerr it was around 5 feet low so it should be close to the bushes by tomorrow.

The major problem fishng after a storm is that the water will be heavily stained, or dirty.

You may have to wait until the body of water settles down.

If the storm stopped the fish from feeding then you will probably do great early in the AM when things calm down and the bass start to move around.

So go out and give it a try and let us know how the water looks and what baits and techniques worked.  :)

I was thinking of heading out to Ed Allen's on Chickahominy Lake tomorrow, but not sure if it's worth it.  Thoughts?  I have no idea what to expect after all this rain.

I live in LA and I fished the day before Gustav, and started fishing again 2 days after the storm. I did fairly well even though I was just fishing ponds, I wound up catching roughly 20 fish, on three different trips. All I threw was a white trick worm. I threw a red shad ribbon tail a few times but no luck.

I fished during tropical storm Fay from the bank.  I was catching fish 5 feet in front of me in the new weeds and bushes that went under.  Tally got over 10inches I believe.  Hit up any spots that will be new to the bass if the water rises that much.

We added two inches rain to the river, went out most of the day today the fish where just not on, I tossed every thing I had at them.  Bar Pressure was 29.87...

I had to go ultra light for smaller LM, crappie, and bluegill.  Only on decent LM on a dark spinnerbait.  Beautiful day though.

I fished Friday morning for about 4 hours after Gustav hit southern Miss Monday. We continued to get rain until Thursday night. The water level was high in the 8 acre pond we fished Friday. But we caught 16 on a goby fluke and a regular fluke dead on the banks. If you moved it more than 2' from the bank, you could hang it up, until the sun got high and the fog lifted. Then we moved to 6-8' with worms and caught 4 more before heading out. We went Saturday to a private 25 acre lake, and caught 42 with weightless 6" watermelon seed lizards, 1 came from a baby brush hog. They would not touch a fluke, and would not mess with it once it cleared from the bank a few feet. We also caught 8 slabs in some of the hot spots while between trolling to different areas. I reckon they were enjoying the new water level they haven't seen in quite sometimes.