Sign in to follow this  
Bassnajr

Moving bass from when area of a pond to another...

Hey all....

I was wondering......

If bass are moved from one area of a pond to another, a fair distance away from where they were caught, will they migrate back to where they were caught, or settle into the new area, finding cover etc. I have heard at the bigger tournaments, that the fish are released via a barge in the center of the fishery, don't know if that's true.

Thanks for any input!!

ajr

They usually go back... There have been a few fishing shows that have proven this.  

From personal experience, I know a 4 pound bass that has claimed a tiny cove on the pond I fish.  I have moved it several hundred yards, and I've seen/caught her there many times.

Don't know but Johnson's Pond would go against that Alan. Seems like most the good fish and winning bags are coming out of in front of Colwell's these days.

I know of 2 DD bass on Toledo Bend that were caught in the Housen'/Six Mile area then weighted in at Toledo Tackle and released at Pendleton Bridge which is about 20-25 miles. Both bass were caught again in the Housen'/Six Mile area and weighted in at Toledo Tackle again.

If it is a "pond" (small water) than most certainly they know their water and will head back home. If it's a larger more complex water body (a euphemistic "pond") then check this site for recent research on the subject. Go through the "research" section pages. There are several good pieces on bass movements following relocation (in tournaments).

http://www.bigindianabass.com/big_indiana_bass/research/