Sign in to follow this  
BassNub

Skunked Out again

For the past month or so my buddy and I haven't been catching any fish. I know it deals with the factor that we're shore fishing but still fishing is still taking it's toll on me for the year. I already put it all away now.

Forgot how it feels like to catch a fish.

darn it!...... :-/

well any tips and techniques from the northern part of the country?

(all is appreciated)

Gloves, heating bags, rain suit, Hummingbird Smartcast (to find deep fish from shore), and PATIENCE!!!

Simp, how are you using your Smartcast?

Bassnub, you are not alone:

Read the post "Small Pond Frustration in the Fall".

Simp, how are you using your Smartcast?

Bassnub, you are not alone:

Read the post "Small Pond Frustration in the Fall".

Well one of the biggest reasons I like it most of the time is for the water temp reading. I also find it works good on ponds that might also be considered strip pits. Right now my favorite ponds are closed in the Crab Orchard Wildlife refuge and so I've been hitting some local ponds and most are strip pits. The main one I fish has a very hard bottom with heavy spotted patches of grass. The pond itself is shaped like a football and on either end it gets VERY shallow but right next to them are VERY quick drop offs. I usually scope out the shallows for a little bit on warm sunny days (less and less of those) and when I find nothing I bring out the smartcast. I usually try to locate the drop offs and see if the smartcast can pick up a school of fish. Then I start throwing a Worm/JiG, Rattle Traps or Crankbcaits. Don't get confused thogh I still go home many times just cold and wet :'(. On those days I blame the crappy pond I'm forced to fish with no fish in it and start counting the days until my other ponds open up March 1. I will say it's nice some of those 2lb summer bass now are 3lbs!

Don't feel bad...it was 38 degrees here and i was the only idiot out there freezing my behind off.

My body was telling me "it too darn cold"! So after about 20 cast at 2 different spots i packed it up and went home.

Don't feel bad...it was 38 degrees here and i was the only idiot out there freezing my behind off.

My body was telling me "it too darn cold"! So after about 20 cast at 2 different spots i packed it up and went home.

This may sound wierd but I think it's hard for many of us to SLOW dowm in the cold because the more we move the more we heat ourselves up. It's hard to barely move that lure when your mind is screaming "IT'S ****ING COLD OUT HERE!". ;D

It would help tremendously if y'all would put where y'all be at ;)

For the past month or so my buddy and I haven't been catching any fish. I know it deals with the factor that we're shore fishing but still fishing is still taking it's toll on me for the year. I already put it all away now.

Forgot how it feels like to catch a fish.

darn it!...... :-/

well any tips and techniques from the northern part of the country?

(all is appreciated)

Im in RI so I know how you feel. It has slowed considerably for me as well but its to be expected this time of year Bassnub. As the weather gets colder it get tougher as well. The problem with not having a boat is that the fish group up this time of year and if its cold enough they are probably out in the deeper water. IF you cant get to them you cant catch them. If you do have a sunny day try fishing right where the sun is shining on the water in the shallows, that may help. Tho other things I can suggest is try some shiners. I dont use live bait myself but if I was ground bound I would consider it. You get some athletic ones sometimes and they may swim out to deeper water but also no bait is as real as live bait. It cant hurt your chances of catching a fish. Good luck!