Sign in to follow this  
Bass XL

can I?

All right heres the deal. Can i fish a jig (jiging it off the bottom) when there are absolutly no craw fish in this lake?

Absolutley!   Bass are oppurtunistic feeders, and will eat anything that looks edible.  Do you suppose bass see fat ika's swimming around, or schools of spinnerbaits swimming around?

I learned this from LBH....

Craw fish are noctural. During the day the snooze in their little nooks and crannys, making it almost inpossible to see them. Basicly almost every lake or pond has them, so dont think their arn't and just becuase you cant see them.

And jigs and imitate a number of things, i believe.  White and gray ones can look like feeding shad, and blue/green ones look like small bass and baitfish.

well its a man made lake and there were no crawfish stocked (if thats what you want to call it).. i suppose IF there are any in there, they were probably dumped bait that reproduced....but no one on the lake has ever seen them and i live on the lake and i have never seen them so....

Guest avid

crayfish are like weeds. They don't need to be stocked but you can bet they will spring up.

What happens is that as the birds travel from one pond or lake to another, their toes and scat are filled with seeds, and fertilized eggs of all kinds of critters. They will spread that which you want and that which you do not want.

If your lake has been around for more than a couple of years it no doubt contains crawfish.

Plus, remember that a bass will hit somthing that "appears" to be a catchable meal.  It doesn't have to "relate" with the bait as an imitation of somthing he sees everyday.  It just has to "relate" to the fact that it is alive, and moving slow enough to be caught.

With out getting to scientific crayfish (crawfish, crawdad, and mudbug) are found world wide except in the northern most regions where the ground freeze to depths below 4 feet. There are 3 families which can be divided into 370 species and 25 genera, colors vary with reds, greens, blues, browns, and whites

Yes you can, I fish jigs in my cousin 's ponds and there has never been crayfish in them.

crayfish are like weeds. They don't need to be stocked but you can bet they will spring up.

What happens is that as the birds travel from one pond or lake to another, their toes and scat are filled with seeds, and fertilized eggs of all kinds of critters. They will spread that which you want and that which you do not want.

If your lake has been around for more than a couple of years it no doubt contains crawfish.

Crawfish, frogs, snakes, and probably many other species will find a body of water. In addition to avid's method, some simply wil travel long distance to find a new home. Just natures way I suppose...