Sign in to follow this  
drmnbig

Recommend me a lifejacket.

I'm planning on buying an inflatable life jacket this year.  I've been fishing off a  bassboat for 13 years and have been lucky enough not to fall in but I know it will eventually happen.  It wouldn't be so bad but I'm not the most competent swimmer.  In the hot summer sun I HATE wearing a normal lifejacket because I sweat like a hog.  I'm hoping an inflatable will make me wear it more often.  Also, I'm no small chicken.  I weight in at over 320lbs and 6'5".  Will just the average inflatable be enough to float me?  

I'm no expert in this field but there are auto inflate and manual inflate ones.  I think the manual ones are useless because if you fall over and get knocked out, what good is it?

I would highly recommend the Mustang Hydrostatic. They are expensive but will only inflate if they are immersed approximately 4 inches. They will not inflate due to rain, humidity, etc., like the regular auto inflates. That's why I bought mine. If I couldn't wear it in all conditions, it wouldn't do me any good. I wear it all the time, even in the summer, and forget I have it on. I have worn one of these for several years in all conditions and can vouch for them. As a matter of fact, a year ago I had a steering malfunction and was thrown out of my boat while wearing my Mustang. It worked perfectly and literally saved my life.  

Most of them state how much weight they can hold up if you look where you are buying them or on the manufacturers webpage. Personally, I have had trouble with the autoinflates (never had the Mustang brand though). I usually have to buy at least 1 new C02 kit a year because they go off when I didnt want them too. Most of the time they accidentaly got wet in a compartment, but I have had them do it for no reason as well. I got them for the same purpose. I don't doubt it would work when you fell in, you just have to be sure your C02 isnt out and it has a yearly cost associated with it (I believe they recommend replacing the cartridge yearly regardless). They are definately cooler though. I went to something like at the website listed below. It has mesh arms so your cooler and move very freely and the waist / chest are a normal lifejacket. Only thing is I dont know if they hold you face up very well incase of knockouts.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_50114____SearchResults

I also sail during the summer time and I also would recommend the mustang. Here is some info. They are spendy but well worth the money.

Mustang Survival  Inflatable Vest  w/ L.I.F.T. PFD

The Inflatable Vest with LIFT PFD, featured in the Mustang OCX line, delivers a high level of safety for users in variable wind and wave conditions by elevating the wearers mouth out of the water by up to 9 inches (23cm). Known as freeboard, this increase in elevation has been shown to reduce underwater mouth immersions by 80%, increasing the chance of survival in accidental immersion situations.

The LIFT System LIFT [Life-saving Inflatable Flotation Technology] is a revolutionary flotation cell system, designed to lift you out of the water, & keep you there. By elevating the body & maintaining an upright position, LIFT ensures that you're less likely to swallow water caused by rough seas & chop. And by keeping more of you out of the water, it delays hypothermia.

The LIFT cell design delivers over 40 pounds of buoyancy & about 9" of freeboard (distance between the water's surface & your mouth) the highest ever seen in a PFD. LIFT is light, comfortable, & ergonomically designed. You can't even tell you're wearing it until you need it.

A perfect product fit for performance sailors and power boaters, the Inflatable Vest with LIFT PFD is also an excellent choice for individuals who desire added protection. Constructed with a highly durable wind and waterproof fabric, the vest is a lightweight product designed with a shorter length and a low and flexible profile ensuring users maximum mobility during even the most rigorous activities. A removable sailing harness is available for purchase separately (see below).

MD0450 Hammar 1F Hydrostatic Automatic Inflation

The hydrostatic inflator needs only to be submerged 4 inches (10 cm) for the hydrostatic pressure to open a pressure valve releasing a firing mechanism, automatically inflating the PFD or when wearer pulls activation cord.

I prefer the manual to the auto inflate. I well understand the chance of unconscious, and the fact that at least one person drowned because he was knocked out. What are the odds of that? I can swim, and I prefer depending on me instead of the auto inflate. Am I right or wrong? No answer expected. I well understand many people will disagree, but...

Dr T

Concerning the life jacket issue: This is a very valid concern, but have you thought about how you are going to get back in the boat?

We have already been through this process. My boat has a flip down ladder that makes boarding easy. If you do not have a ladder, another option is using the tilt-trim. With this option, straddle the foot of the engine and press the up button. If you do not have a tilt-trim, consider always fishing with a partner.

Dr T

I prefer the manual to the auto inflate. I well understand the chance of unconscious, and the fact that at least one person drowned because he was knocked out. What are the odds of that? I can swim, and I prefer depending on me instead of the auto inflate. Am I right or wrong? No answer expected. I well understand many people will disagree, but...

Dr T

Oddly enough one of them manual high dollar ski type can drown a unconsience person. Only the standard manual cheapo type ones will turn a knocked out person upright.