Sign in to follow this  
Mobydick

Wind Shadow

I read about wind shadow in one of the articles here on the board. I have learned that a wind shadow is when the wind causes the water to become rougher where the wind is blowing.

How does a wind shadow work to our advantage or disadvantage?

Thanks!

Ian

Wind, in general, distorts the image of a lure on or near the surface.  Thats why buzzbaits and burner spinnerbaits work better in wind.

Bass feel more comfortable slamming bait on the surface in wind too.

I do know what a wind shadow is because I sail a Hobie Cat Catamaran.  I always look forward to wind shadows.

A wind shadow lasts only for a couple seconds on windy days as they come and go.  I don't think they make a difference either way but I'm really not sure

Must be a sailing term?

when the wind causes the water to become rougher where the wind is blowing.

This, as fishizzle mentions, is the key point. A longer period of wind can do lots of things, good to bad. But a short window of wind rippling the surface can be a big advantage to an angler because it cuts and distorts lighting, making lures harder for bass to make out as 'not food' or something dangerous (lures). The surface film has this effect by itself, but a rippled surface is even better. Further, a rippled surface covers other angler effects that can put bass off like casting disturbances and the sight or motion of the angler.

Wind, in general, distorts the image of a lure on or near the surface.  Thats why buzzbaits and burner spinnerbaits work better in wind.

Wind roughed water gives lots of lures an edge, but buzzbaits shine. I have a buzzer ready and waiting for wind, no matter how short in duration.

Thanks for clarifying.  I thought we were discussing some new super hero.  

Must be a sailing term?

when the wind causes the water to become rougher where the wind is blowing.

This, as fishizzle mentions, is the key point. A longer period of wind can do lots of things, good to bad. But a short window of wind rippling the surface can be a big advantage to an angler because it cuts and distorts lighting, making lures harder for bass to make out as 'not food' or something dangerous (lures). The surface film has this effect by itself, but a rippled surface is even better. Further, a rippled surface covers other angler effects that can put bass off like casting disturbances and the sight or motion of the angler.

Wind, in general, distorts the image of a lure on or near the surface. Thats why buzzbaits and burner spinnerbaits work better in wind.

Wind roughed water gives lots of lures an edge, but buzzbaits shine. I have a buzzer ready and waiting for wind, no matter how short in duration.

Thanks Paul!

Ian