Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Allen

New to bass fishing and need a little help

I have just recently started bass fishing and havent been very successful so far. a friend of mine has a bass pond in mississippi that is probably 2 acres in size. Last time i went out i caught ten bass but all were under 1.5 pounds. I used a weighted texas rigged yum dinger. I was wondering what else i should try to catch some better quality fish. There is structure everywhere so it cant be to prone to getting hung up. Any advice is appreciated

Glad you decided to join!. At the top of the page (fishing articles, tacklebox) you can click on and there is a ton of info for getting started. Read up and you can ask more specific questions. Lot easier to help you that way ;)...

skillet

Welcome aboard!

Spend some time in the BassResource.com Library, "Fishing Articles"

and "Tacklebox" at the top of the page. We have put together an

extensive selection of materials and links to more!

Good luck!

8-)

Two questions for you;

1. What type of tackle do you have, spinning, bait casting or spin cast.

2. Describe "structure"; rocks, trees or weeds?

The Texas rigged worm is a good choice for ponds and fishing from shore. You can also use the Carolina rig or slip shot rig, for example.

Top water lures like; frogs, buzz baits and poppers work. Floater diving lures like; jointed and original floating Rapala's, and small shallow diving crankbaits are good pond lures.

WRB

Welcome.  Glad you are asking questions as we will do our best to direct you in the right direction.

Now, what to throw in the pond?

EVERYTHING!

Practice throwing different rigs to get the feel of the bait and technique.

Anything goes with a pond so throw everything and practice, practice and practice some more.

Read the articles on this site; set up a special Bass Resource file and save the posts; subscribe to BASSIN Magazine; visit the pros and manufacturers web sites; and ask questions.  

Be sure to take pics and let us know what baits and techniques caught the most or failed to produce.  :)

One thing to do is ask around - 1.5 pounds maybe a decent fish in that 2 acre pond if the pond is fairly new.

If lots of structure, then running a worm, weedless, rigged Texas style is as good a choice as any.

If the pond gets lots of fishing pressure, then the bigger fish may already be wise to a lot of the artificial baits, so triggering a bite will become more of a challenge.  

You could try some floating rattle traps that should keep you out of the structure if you are worried about getting hung up.  

Maybe some minnows, if nothing else you might find that the pond is stocked with some other interesting fish.

As you are just starting, I would recomend sticking with the T-Rig, and maybe one or two other techniques for this season. Varients such as jig and plastic combos, or C-Rigs would be good to get to know.  Now Im not sayin to comletely ignore things like cranks and spinners, but I believe in learning things in small doses.  Get a good feel for one technique, and move on to another.  Try these lures in other bodys of water, and pay attention to the details.  ie: How do certain lures work on points, as opposed to flats, as opposed to sunken timber etc.  It is easy to become overwhelmed in any sport if you try to do to much at one time, and fishing is no exception.  Most of all, listen to the guys and gals on this site, as they have ALOT of knowledge to share.  Tight lines my friend, and welcome.  This is one helluva sport.