Sign in to follow this  
HAMMER23

CATT QUESTION ?

CATT buddy this question is really for you, but I will take answers from any other night time fisherman. No doubt you have several more years on t-bend than I do , but I have read many threads on how to fish different baits at night and you have answered the same every time,  "same area"  "same baits"  "same presentation you fish in the day time. I honestly do not catch the quality or quantity in the day I do at night . 99% of my time on the lake is night time I admit, but my spinnerbait catch is much bigger at night, every other bait I throw does have the same day to night ratio " close anyway "  My question is your day to night ratio on spinnerbait really that close, and take into mind I am talking about the same area. I not trying to call you out, we fish the same water and thats the reason I am asking you. Remember this is spinnerbait only !!!

If the bass are on a spinner bait bite during the day why would I change lures or areas because the sun went down?

My spinner bait catch ratio is higher during the day because I mainly throw spinner baits from pre-spawn to early post spawn.

I can tell you from experience if you want to catch quality & quantity on Toledo Bend you will be throwing plastics.  

If the bass are on a spinner bait bite during the day why would I change lures or areas because the sun went down?

My spinner bait catch ratio is higher during the day because I mainly throw spinner baits from pre-spawn to early post spawn.

I can tell you from experience if you want to catch quality & quantity on Toledo Bend you will be throwing plastics.

POINT TAKEN !!!   MY  so called honey hole just seems to produce better at night , I just wondered if it was the same for you thats all ?

This was directed to Catt and is a Toledo Bend specific question, so Catt is the perfect choice to answer it for you.

My 2C worth on nightime spinnerbaits;

Use a single or a twin spin in lieu of a tandum blade.

Use larger blades to slow the fall and retrieve speed to create more underwater pulse or vibration.

Use copper or black color blades.

Use black, black/red, black/chartreuse combination skirts and trailers at night. If that doesn't work try the opposite; white with white blades, white skirt & trailer with dark contrasting color highlights.

Your average size bass should be larger at night, if you are fishing areas where big bass move up to feed.

Keep in mind that the strike window is reduce at night, the lure needs to be close to the bass. A fast moving lure outside of the strike window, more than likely the bass will not chase down.

WRB

I also fish primarily at night.

I also fish the same baits in the same areas.

The fish aren't any different, but your mistakes and the short comings of an artificial bait, are better hidden.

BIG BIG BIG at night.  10"+  Swimbaits with Anaconda follow ups for me this yr.

I also fish primarily at night.

I also fish the same baits in the same areas.

The fish aren't any different, but your mistakes and the short comings of an artificial bait, are better hidden.

BIG BIG BIG at night. 10"+ Swimbaits with Anaconda follow ups for me this yr.

I agree, I believe it does hide mistakes but I also believe the bass is at a slighter disadvantage at night and has less time to judge and decide and has to take it for what it is at that moment. They have to take it for face value and hit it or forget it !!!!

You guys are really making me want to try some night fishing.

The question was about spinnerbaits at night and TB.

I agree with Catt; fish soft plastics at night during the summer period, everywhere.

Jigs and worms are my primary night lures and crankbaits like DD15 or 22's. Home made twin spins are another lure that works very well bottom bumping. Dawn and dusk, a big thumper blade works at times.

80% jigs & worms, 20% everything else equals a good night work for me. I use a lot of swimbait during the day, at night haven't done to well with them.

WRB

QUOTE: Keep in mind that the strike window is reduce at night, the lure needs to be close to the bass. A fast moving lure outside of the strike window, more than likely the bass will not chase down.

WRB

This is a blanket statement, and not 100 % true throughout all bait selections and where in the water coloumn you are fishing . I too have switched to fishing mostly at night. This statement is definitely true when i am throwing jigs and plastics, in deeper water , and off cover .

I can testify however over the last 2 seasons that , bass will chase down a good wake type bait, Jitterbug and large single colorado bait for some distance , moving along the top of the water at a good clip  and with reckless abandon at night. This is true for 3 bodies of water I fish, regularly at night and with good catches.

You're right Muddy that's a generalization just like saying, Under water vision for the bass is reduced at night, so use lures that are a little larger. This to is true statement but bass don't follow rules and small baits will produce at night.

Some bodies of water have reputations for producing better results with certain lures and on Toledo Bend it's plasticsalways has been.