Sign in to follow this  
cantcatchfish4somereason

finding submerged structure

everyone talks alot about fishing 10-20ft submerged structure during this time of the yr. When the water temp is in the mid 70's low 80's go deeper right? Well anyone got tips on how they determine exactly where the structure is or how do fish it? Like when you go over it with your dept finder how do u narrow down your area or do you? and whats the best way to fish these spots? I mainly beat the banks and need help with this transition.

When I am searching for cover I usually just idle an area and mark the brush piles as I go over and don't even fish them at that moment. I will go back after I have marked a few. On my finder brush piles look like an unusual lump 2-6 feet high with a pretty solid line on the top and a fairly solid fill. When you go over one you will often see small lines or marks above them indicating bait fish. I will double mark these as bait fish piles. When you go over a pile that is not as thick it won't be as dark filling and it will be almost like a blob.

You have to remember that even though you don't see a fish on the pile there are fish there. You just have to poke your way around and get your bait into their home. I turn off all auto-featuring on my finder and set up a dual reading with the larger side the zoom. You get a better resolution reading. Also turn off the fish icons, you will learn how to read your finder better.

I would start by locating structure changes around spawning flats that have a quick drop and try to find anything that looks like cover on your finder. Let it be rocks a tree branch or anything fish will be there. Thats how I tackle it and hope that helps.

ILH

If I am fishing deep fish i look for the thermocline and find structure that is sitting at that depth. I do this because they are going to be the most active. Depending on what kind of cover is sitting on that structure depends on what i would use. I don't want to be donating lures for the cause so i choose accordingly.

Haven't taken the time to read Catt's list, sure it's a good read.

Look at the terrain the lake is located at. What you see above water is generally flooded under water. With low water conditions the past few years, it was a good time to photo the structure that was or is exposed.

Good maps will help to locate structure. Brush piles are considered cover to me. If it grows on and/or underwater, it's cover. if it's permanent it's structure.

The depth you fish is the life zone; the depth the bass and baitfish are using. Thermoclines are areas where lighter warm water meet colder heavier water, the transition zone layer is called the thermocline.

WRB