Sign in to follow this  
rocknfish9001

smallmouth's structure

Correct me if im wrong, and i may be. But from what i hear, smallmouths in lakes tend to gravitate towards the steeper drops, and do not populate the gradual drops or points as much, is that right?

As a general rule your right, however don't rule out the gradual drops, especially long tapering points that are gravel or rock. These areas are awsome when wind blown. Smallies will move all over the lake following the food. Certains hold fish at certain times, each lake is different, you just have to put a pattern together.

In a lake, I will try to locate gravel or rip rap.  Another great location is a big flat.

rip rap and dam walls are great. rocky islands can be good too. points are great for smallies, mainly if the bottom is humpy.

This may be true in the winter but in the spring, summer and fall if you focused mainly on drop-offs you would be missing out on a lot of good fishing. Gradual tapering rock and weed flats can be deadlyl. Sunken islands especially ones with rock are seriously deadly. If you would focus on drop-offs I would definately make sure they have some rocks or weeds. ;)

Isolated structure in current cannot be beat. Year-around, this will consistantly hold the largest smallmouth in any body of water, anywhere.

#2 are submerged ridges, immediately adjacent to deep water in current. Steep, rugged structure is key.

Get hung or get bit!

In lakes, #1 is a sunken island or hump surrounded by deep water. This type of structure will ALWAYS hold smallmouth.

The structure I fish most often on big lakes is primary points. Not all points are productive, but these are your best bet for success. Smallmouth will stack up on some points, but finding the right point is still a challenge.

Some of my lakes are great for fishing smallies on the flats. For the most part they will be on the deeper side and relate to gravel rock/boulder areas. With a lot of work you can get key areas that will produce over and over.

To find these areas you need to fish the pervaling wind side of everything. Thats not todays wind but if you were to have a major wind storm. These winds will keep the silt clear.

Garnet